Author Topic: Link station Pro Duo Max Disk size?  (Read 13755 times)

senectus

• Calf
Link station Pro Duo Max Disk size?
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

I've just bought myself a Link Station Pro Duo with no disks in it, and am now Shopping around for suitable drives.

Ive notice that Buffalo only sell 1TB and 2TB max sized models, but I presume there is nothing stopping me from sticking 2x 2TB Hard drives into the thing and setting up RAID 1 over them?

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Link station Pro Duo Max Disk size?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »

From what Ive seen they can only handle 1tb drives.  You can look in the solved solution thread for more info.

senectus

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:48:46 AM »

weird, I cant think of a legit reason why this would be an artificially set limit.

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »
any even if 500GB or 1TB drives were used, what or how do you recover with both bad disks

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:59:24 PM »
If both are bad disk, you need to consult a data recovering company for recovering your data. If you just want to recover the unit. You need to TFTP the unit. FYI this unit can handle 4tb drives. Not sure which ones will or wont work. Normal drives more of a chance. Nas drives, your taking a chance if it will or wont.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
Thanks Joma.  I dont need to recover any data.  My current status is that one of the two original 500GB drives is dead.  I wanted to replace them with two 1TB WD RED's.  but I cant find how to do that.  I pieced together that perhaps I need to FTFP it. but i have not found a clear procedure to do that.  One I found had references to finding firmware images etc etc, but the links are all dead.  So what I want is to just get my current 1/2 functioning unit working with the two new 1TB red's

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 09:54:58 AM »
So my bad as I stated in your other post. If your model is a LS-WVL it can go up to 4TB hard drives. If its not and its one that has v1 or v3. it can only go up to 1TB.

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:52 AM »
From memory, its on firmware version 1.01.  Its a LsProDuo (LS-WTGLE0) or soemething like that. it came with two 500GB drives, i bought two 1TB drives.  I planned to use RAID1

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
You can try the WD Reds, no idea if the system will work them or not. In any case if it was me I would use a small hdd you are not using, wipe it, and install it in the unit. get the tftp to work and firmware the unit. Once you have a working hdd in the unit. You can add the WD Red in and see if it detects it and formats it. If it does, you will power off the unit. Move the WD red to the first slot and add the other WD Red in the second slot. See if the unit boots. if so repeat the same steps as you did on the first WD Red and then make a Raid array. Then your done. But thats just me.

ibaslian

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:47:51 AM »
Hi, i'm planning to upgrade harddisk on my ls wvl. I have an eye for wd red 2x4 tb (wd40efrx)... Is it going to be compatible? What is your suggestion for hard disk upgrade (size 4 tb and up)?. Thanks

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:59 PM »
not likely.  I think anything beyond the original disks is unlikely to work.  While my LS DuoPro is painfully limping along, I'm about to switch it out for a more reliable product by another company.  I'm not sinking anymore $$ into new HDD for this box

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 03:25:09 AM »
not likely.  I think anything beyond the original disks is unlikely to work.  While my LS DuoPro is painfully limping along, I'm about to switch it out for a more reliable product by another company.  I'm not sinking anymore $$ into new HDD for this box

Stop talking bolox, the unit can support upto 16TB if you know what you are doing and follow the TFTP instructions correctly.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:12:05 PM »
davo. Perhaps they are simple enough for you.  Perhaps you are an expert, and perhaps isbaslian is as well.  Assuming that you can find the tftp instructions, which keep getting pulled down.  Yes someone can follow along, and hopefully things will work.  Dont mislead folks into thinking that following that procedure is anything less than an expert level operation.   

Even the thread that had comments about the tftp procedure was a ling or wreakage of folks that hosed things up nicely.  There were different variations based on the LSDP firmware, and certain procedure would not work based on certain firmware.

Bottom line, the LSDP is not nearly as user friendly as other boxes our there.  replacing HDD with the same type, no problem.  Change it up.  You are on your own.  LS support even says as much. 

Can you upgrade .... sure technically anything is possible.     I starting doing the tfp procedure and stopped when I realized how out dated everything with the LSDP was (memory, cpu, throughput), and it wasnt worth the time/effort to upgrade. 

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
Dont mislead folks into thinking that following that procedure is anything less than an expert level operation.   

It's not and if you think it is then you shouldn't attempt to do it.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

jetguat

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
Roger that..  that 10 year old LSPD is going were it below.. to the Electronics Graveyard...   

BTW if You think its such a engineering marvel.  You pay for shipping, and I ship it to you without HDD.  Its yours.  No cost.