Author Topic: terastation not recognizing ext3 usb disk  (Read 3352 times)

onewiki

• Calf
terastation not recognizing ext3 usb disk
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »

I used a terastation to format a usb disk in ext3 format. Everything was fine. I could read/write/share the disk over the network.

Then I plugged the disk into a PC with linux. The linux system was able to recognize it and everything was still fine.

Then I moved the disk back to the terastation. This time things went wrong. The terastation does not recognize the disk format so cannot read from it (to be more precise, it sees the disk but says the format is "Not Obtained"). I did not change anything when using the disk on the PC. The only thing I did was to play some music files.

From my experience, terastation seems to only recognize disks formatted by itself, but in this case, the usb disk was formatted by the terastation. Just having the disk read once by a different system seems to render the disk unreadable by the terastation.

I wonder if there is any fix, other than reformatting the disk, in order for my terastation to recognize the disk ( it has a huge amount of files on it and I want to share them over the network.) Thanks.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: terastation not recognizing ext3 usb disk
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »

There could be corruption on the data if it's note able to be seen through the ts.  Do a disk check from the linux box on the drive and see if you can see the data there.  If that is the case backup the data and try to format the disk, sorry but that is your best option.  Best would be if you had the data somewhere else to get the original copy from to put on the usb drive.  You can also try to fromat the disk to xfs and see if that helps.

onewiki

• Calf
Re: terastation not recognizing ext3 usb disk
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:52 PM »

Thanks for your reply. I plugged the the disk into a Linux system and ran a disk check. Then I plugged it back into the Terastation. It works now. Thanks.