Author Topic: HS-DH320GL - Out of warranty - faulty HDD  (Read 4879 times)

christips

• Calf
HS-DH320GL - Out of warranty - faulty HDD
« on: January 06, 2010, 02:53:01 AM »

I've been given a Linkstation Live HS-DH320GL with a faulty Hardrive.

Seeing as it's out of warranty can i replace the HDD myself and will running a Firmware update auto recover and reformat / partition the new blank HDD back to factory stock settings ?

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: HS-DH320GL - Out of warranty - faulty HDD
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:32:18 AM »

No, if it truely has a bad HDD then the only option would be to disassemle the unit and replace the HDD (which is something that we don't support doing).  You can try the TFTP boot procedure in case it just can't find the kernal.

christips

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:04:04 AM »

Hi PCPiranha thanks for the reply

The HDD is definitely faulty as it keeps clicking then powering down and it does exactly the same when it was removed and connected to a external USB HDD enclosure.

If i put a brand new HDD in the HS-DH320GL that has never been formatted is there anything i need to do ?

I realize that this is on my own head if it goes wrong as it is out of warranty anyway.

Thanks

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 12:35:29 AM »

You need to reformat the drive to XFS the files system is Linux based.  After that you also need to run the TFTP boot, to put the boot image back on the unit.  Then you have to run a force firmware procedure.  The TFTP Boot and the Force Firmware are in the FAQ's at the top of the Storage Thread.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 02:46:08 AM »

Many other users do this also.  Its not frowned upon but like you stated "not supported".  If you search the solved storage thread there is alot of stuff about what your trying to accomplish.