Author Topic: Spyware\Trojans - Inbound UDP packet  (Read 12781 times)

arobinson

• Calf
Spyware\Trojans - Inbound UDP packet
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:18 PM »

Hello,

Is it possible that a Terastation can get infected with spyware/trojan horse? Notron Antivirus keeps gving certain computers alerts that it's blocking trojan horses from the Terastation's IP address. Inbound UDP packet.

Here's the Terastation info: HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14

This device is connected to a workgroup. No servers just WinXp and Win2k Pro computers. Any additional info needed please let me know.

Thanks!

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Spyware\Trojans - Inbound UDP packet
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »

It is possible if you have a lot of different downloaded files, or if you have a corrupt file on your buffalo.  I don't trust norton for a positive detection, if you are worried about it, backup all of your data and do a quarintine and then delete the raid array and recreate it and then move files back on.

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:51 PM »

Thanks for the response. It's definitely possible that a user has downloaded a file there.

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »

If I mapped a drive to the Terastation, could I run a program that could scan the drive? Not too familiar with scanning her Terastion for trojans or if it's even possible.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »

Since the TS runs a linux kernal the chances of it having a "virus" (in the conventional windows form) is extremely unlikely. You can of course map the drive in windows and then run a scan on it.

To be honest Norton (and other anti virus software) is a bit notorious for flagging false/positives as a virus, this is a common occurance when it scans key generator applications and files like that.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »

thanks for the info. i appreciate it. we back up our terastation here in new york to a terastation in new hampshire. thanks again!

alex

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »

In case someone uses this for a reference Davo gave the best response (in terms of likelyhood of getting a virus).

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »

I would have to agree with  

The structure of Linux makes writing a virus very difficult as it requires root access to do anything of significance. For a virus to run it would have to be granted root access with a password request. If you fail to give it root access then the most a virus could do, if anything, is damage your home directory. It is unlikely it could even run again so it would die there in your home directory. Most smart Linux users grasp the power of root access and would question why an unknown program is suddenly requesting root access. (You don’t enter your password for just ANY prompt do you? Only for programs YOU have called up, right?) –BrunoLinux

arobinson

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »

thanks for all of your responses.

the users don't know the passwords. only guys in the IT dept. i doubt anyone would knowingly do that.