Author Topic: NAS Webaccess  (Read 7670 times)

spidertaker23

• Calf
NAS Webaccess
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:58:33 AM »

I have webaccess setup and I used it yesterday to upload about a 880mb of information from my parents computer to mine just fine.

When I tried to upload about 8gb of information from my friends computer to mine it would come up with "An input/output error has occured" ... this was done through the "upload files" option.  I clicked append files and then upload.  Then I tried it again right away and it pulled up the progress dialog.  It has been sitting at 0% for about 10 hours now.

Is there a file size limitation with webaccess?  Any ideas on what could be wrong?

I was able to access webaccess and create a new folder and stuff without a problem.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: NAS Webaccess
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »

I'm not aware of any cap, but from your friends computer if you try to move something smaller such as a gig or so does that go through, or even half a gig does that work?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 11:03:00 AM »

Hey Spider, sorry I dont have an answer to your question but I have a question for you. How are you able to transfer files into your nas using webaccess. All I am able to do is see the items. What ever I have allowed to be viewed either with or without a password. I can see everything and play files but I dont see an option to add files. Is it just a drag and drop deal or do I need to set something up?

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

Spider, disregard the part about uploading. I figured it out, I was not signed in to my webaccess account. Once I sign in I saw the upload button at the bottom left corner. So that answer that. Now how were you able to download at your parents house? I dont see a download button anywere. I would like to be at work and grab some of the files that are here at home. Is that what you did at your parents?

spidertaker23

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »

If you click on the file you want to download and then click "link to this file" it will pull up a download dialog.

Ugh ... I really want this to work ... I don't want to have ot use ftp ... ftp is a pain in the ass.

I would post a picture but this forum doesn't allow uploading images ... you have to link it from a pic site.  Not worth it.

spidertaker23

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:13:32 PM »

According to this Buffalo article ... there is no limits and it should work just fine.

http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/buffalo-advantage/web-access/

I will have to try a smaller file and see if that makes any difference.

I am really getting frustrated because I want this to work very very badly - so I don't have to drive over and hour to my friends house with a hard drive to get these files.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »

Spider the "link to this file" just plays the file, is there a way for me to retrieve files from the nas. Say I have a video I want my mom to have. I want to go on her computer, sign on to my webacces and download the video to her computer. Is this possible?

spidertaker23

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:29:16 PM »

Cool that it just plays but also frustrating as you have experienced.  It only does that for files that are playable ... such as audio or video files.

Easy workaround would be to zip up whatever file you would like to have her download ... and when you click on the link button ... it will prompt to open or save.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »

So besides zipping up a video or two and download it that way there is no way to just grab the file from my nas and put it on her computer. Now what is this FTP that you mentioned? How do I do that?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:16:19 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol

In order to use ftp from a remote location, you need to forward ports 20 and 21 to the internal IP address of the Linkstation from your router. Also, the Linkstation needs to have the correct Default Gateway information. From the Linkstation Web Setup, go to Network->IP Address Settings. Make sure Default Gateway is enabled and that the internal IP address of the router is entered. After applying, you should be able to access the Linkstation's ftp shares from a remote location by typing "ftp://ipaddress" (where "ipaddress" is the external IP address of your router) into a web browser.

If you are trying to write to the FTP share, we recommend that you use an FTP client.  A good FTP client to use is filezilla.

spidertaker23

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »

That is what I ended up doing.  I just used FTP.  I had way too many problems and frustrations with WebAccess.  It just would not allow me to upload that large of a file.

That and it doesn't let you download whatever file you want.

So I ended up disabling WebAccess and enabling Ftp.

Filezilla is a good ftp client.  But, I used CoreFtp lite.  Both are good.

Too bad Buffalo can't make the webaccess work better ... considering that is one of the NAS core features. 

I can't wait to replace my Buffalo NAS with a HP Windows Home Server.

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

Unfortunately Spider im kind of with you on this. I know the mods dont like to hear it, and have banned me before for saying but is the truth. From what have I have read on this and other forums the Buffalo products arent living up to what their name used to be. I know things change but it seems tha tthe Buffalo products changed for the worse. Its not just their lower end products like the LS Live but I have read a few horror stories about their $1000 nas as well. There are many issues and I sure hopre they try to solve some of them. In my case my biggest gripe is the fact that they arent up to date on their firmware. The twonky firmware is 2 updates behind, their webaccess is slow and extremly slow and sometimes not working at all. It seems like there are alot of tweaks and work-arounds that need to be done in order to get a feature/function working that should work right out of the box. I know the HP media Server sounds better but the price difference is a big thing to consider.

spidertaker23

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »

I completely agree with all of your statements.  It's nice to see a likeminded person on the forums.

I bought the buffalo linkstation product because of their solid reputation in the NAS business.  Since then the things that you have mentioned have come to light ... and I have already had to have my product replaced within the first year of owning it.  I know things fail.  But, things shouldn't fail that quickly when they are supposed to be your backup.  But anyways that not what we are complaining about here.  And my replacement product is working so far.

I have just been very dissapointed in the Buffalo software that these NAS units ship with.  Like that fact that you can't control the security of subfolders.  That is a seriou omission in my opninon. 

Yes the cost of a HP Home server is alot different.  But, hopefully with tax returns this year I will be able to step up to a product that will meet my expectations.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »

I apologize for all the fustrations that you have been having with the web access setup, and that you have not reached a resolution to your problem.  Please send the feature request that you have metioned to the Idea Exchange lounge.  If its there already please give it kudos so it can move up the list and be seen by our engineers.  I have seen many Nas Devices other than Buffalo that will not let you set the permissons on the sublevel also.  Please keep in mind that this is not intened as a file server but as a storage unit.