Author Topic: Disable "Utilities" faux-CDROM function on HD-PX320U2/RD MiniStation Metro  (Read 5815 times)

the_mcp

• Calf

Pretty much what the subject line says. :)  I have an HD-PX320U2/RD MiniStation Metro, and I want to completely get rid of the fake CD-ROM containing the utilities which appears and occupies a drive letter every time I plug the drive in to a USB port.  This fake utilities "disc" is of no use to me whatsoever, since I will use exactly *none* of the supplied programs, and it annoys me to have a drive letter wasted to no purpose.  It also seems to cause issues with certain non-PC devices which don't expect to see CD-ROM drives attached to them.  So...  how do I get rid of this unwanted "feature"?  (I only have a handful of files on the drive right now, so if the solution involves having to wipe and repartition the hard drive, that's not a problem.)

bsalyers

• Calf
Re: Disable "Utilities" faux-CDROM function on HD-PX320U2/RD MiniStation Metro
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 09:24:24 PM »

I have the same issue. I gave this drive as a gift to a friend who has a Mac. He has no use for these utilities and the constantly mounting virtual CD is just an annoyance for him. Is there any way to get rid of it? I don't even see it when I open the Snow Leopard disk utility to try to remove it.

Thank you.

mushu

• Calf

I third that.  I tried formatting the drive, but the Utility_HD-PXU2 drive is still there.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

The CDFS partition contains utilities for encrypting and unlocking the drive. There is no way to remove it.

bsalyers

• Calf

Ah. That's a shame, since Mac users have no use for these utilities.

In any case, thank you for clearing that up.