Author Topic: New LS Quad questions  (Read 3211 times)

RHayden

• Calf
New LS Quad questions
« on: September 28, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »

I just purchased a new 4GB LS Quad.  Setup was fine.  However I have two questions:

1)  What is the latest firmware?  It seems to have version 1.11 on it, but the latest on the support website is 1.10.  I guess I want to make sure I'm not running something that got recalled and I shouldn't backrev to 1.10.

2)  What should I be getting for transfer speed?  I have a gigabit network and it's running RAID5.  In trying to move about 1tb to the new system, I've been transferring non-stop for over 50 hours and only hit about 700gb.  That just seems a little pokey for what I would expect on a gig network.  I looked around any couldn't find any performance spec numbers, but this is really horrendous.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: New LS Quad questions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »

1. The firmware is ok, new models sometimes coming with un-released firmwares.  But it's not a bad firmware that needs to be reflashed.

2. Yeah they arent' that fast.  Esp if there are many small files in the transfer.  If you want speed from buffalo a ts3 is your best bet.

RHayden

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 11:30:39 AM »

Good on the firmware.

Bad that the performance specs are so atrocious.  I purchased this in leu of some other options because it was good price that said "gigabit" on the specs.  It feels like I'm moving files via two cans and a string...

I have an old Terastation that I am retiring and I guess I got used to the performance on that one since it was ATA internally, but I expected improvements in the years since I purchased it.

(sad panda)

tsammyc

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:41 AM »

The Quad is slightly slower than the Terastation II on writes, but much faster on reads. Here is a benchmark

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30670/75/1/4/