Author Topic: Linkstation Live won't print after first successful attempt [Solved]  (Read 4422 times)

schop

• Calf

Thrilled to have a NAS (details below), I found it's printing to be troublesome. Please bear with me as this post is quite long to my taste :S

Without any installation it worked out of the box and after connecting the printer and adding it through windows' "add printer" wizard, I could print normally. The problem arose when I added the printer to a second computer, using the exact same way. Windows gave me an error stating there was a communication problem with the printer. A third computer did not display any error at all, the documents just didn't roll out the printer.

After some testing of different install methods I found that not only none worked, but also the computer that could print at first now failed to do so (I forgot if it was rebooted between printing and not printing anymore, can't imagine it didn't though). The three methods I tried to add the printer are as follows:

(Names may not be exact since my OS' language is Dutch.)

1 - Right click the printer "LP" on \\Linkstation\ and select "connect". Then follow the wizard.

2 - In the Control Panel's "Printers and faxes" window, click "add printer". Then make the wizard search for networked printers and select the "LP" under "Linkstation". Follow the rest of the wizard.

3 - Same as 2, but choose "local printer connected to this computer". Create a new printer port of type "standard TCP/IP". Type the IP-address of the Linkstation and leave the port name as it is. Then follow the rest of the wizard(s).

Each method seems to install the printer properly but no method leads to a working printer. I think therefore the problem lies somewhere beyond installing the printer in windows. I could write down a complete philosophy on what the problem might be but it wouldn't add anything useful. What does though, are the tech specs below.

Thanks in advance, for any help.

Linkstation Live 1.5 TB LS-CHL

Firmware version 1.10

Printserver extension [x]enabled

Printer: Lexmark Z55

Computers: all 3 run XP Pro SP2 fully updated and member of the "MSHOME" windows-network

Network: all equipment on a single router, physically connected. class C network connected to the internet via a second router.

Router: Buffalo Airstation wireless-g

more information gladly provided if necessary

Message Edited by schop on 08-20-2009 01:18 AM
Message Edited by schop on 08-30-2009 12:46 AM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live won't print after first successful attempt
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
Whats the model of the printer?

schop

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »

Sorry, completely forgot ;)

It's a Lexmark Z55. Edited it into the initial post as well.

schop

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:28:37 AM »

*Bump*

Is there anyone with this or a similar Linkstation who does have a working printserver? Or is it maybe a more common problem?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »

Sorry, not sure how this post slipped by me.  We don't technically support this printer because it is a multifunction printer.  We only support single function printers that support post script.

Now you may get it to work (you obviously did before) so you can always try the usual troubleshooting steps; make sure that you have the most up to date firmware (1.21 is the latest for yours), initialize the unit and clear the print queue.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 08-29-2009 10:45 AM

schop

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »

I never knew it was a multifunction printer. Bummer. If it could only do more than just printing knowing that it is a "multifunction" device :smileytongue:

May I ask how/where you got this information? Just out of interest.

Thanks for looking into it.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 05:40:04 PM »
Just googled it.  I didn't even check if it supported postscript.

schop

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 05:44:18 PM »

Heh, I'll try harder than.

Thanks again, Thread solved.

schop

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:39 AM »

Over time, it just decided to function normally. It's been a few months, many reboots and some changed settings along the way that I even forgot seem to have made it accept the printer. Be it either windows accepting the linkstation of the linkstation accepting the printer.

It was when I followed the instructions for settng up a printer yet another time last week that it actually worked. Anyway, all completely useless information but it does print now. Merely vista and up is not supported in 64 bit.