Author Topic: Help setting up FTP for internal network clients  (Read 2706 times)

satod001

• Calf
Help setting up FTP for internal network clients
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »

I just purchased a TS WX2.0TL/R1. I'm using this NAS in a small windows workgroup based network. Our company does commercial scanning, so we have multiple scanners/copiers in this network. I have 3 scanners that connect via SMB and two via FTP. Of the 3 SMB scanners, 2 can sucessfully save to the TS, while 1 other can't, but this seems to be more of an issue to take up with my scanner vendors.

I'm having trouble with the FTP based scanners. Reading the documentation and the forums, most people are using the FTP server so that they can connect to their TS from OUTSIDE their network. I understand the concept of port forwarding on your router to make this happen. But I can't seem to figure out what to do so that my INTERNAL scanners can find the FTP server. How do I set this up?

Lastly, I'm really confused about the 'restricted user' function in my TS (this may be part of my FTP problem). The documentation is woefully thin, and what is there, doesn't match up with the screens I'm seeing. 

From the Shared Folders tab, I select my 'share' folder and turn on the FTP folder support. Next the documentation says to turn on "access restrictions." From there I can add a user from the list of local users that I created, but the documentation seems to indicated that I can provide permissions at this point. But my screens seem to have no such options. If I turn on 'access restrictions' I basically lock out all user from accessing this folder. Doesn't make sense to me.  What am I missing?

Thanks! 

satod001

• Calf
Re: Help setting up FTP for internal network clients
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 03:54:38 PM »
   For what it's worth, I had been accessing the web interface via Google Chrome - so the web pages were not rendering as intended. After switching to IE, I was able to do what I needed to do. There's one for the FAQ's - USE Internet Explorer FOR ADMIN ACCESS!