Author Topic: [HELP] All drives replace Terastation Pro II  (Read 24513 times)

slim19198

• Calf
[HELP] All drives replace Terastation Pro II
« on: October 27, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »

Scenario, All 4 drives have been replaced in a TPII and now it will not start up, E07!

I have booted in to EM mode, can see the TPII, tried to do firmware udate, but this is where it fails, it says drives not formatted!!!!

I have enabled debug mode, tried every setting, told it to format drives, but all it says is failed to format drives (ACP_STATE_FAILURE)

The old drives have been reformatted already (I was not the one who was performing this upgrade, but I am the one fixing it ;-) ) so they are not an option for recovery!

So, what is my next step, I have no web interface available to me!!!

slim19198

• Calf
Re: [HELP] All drives replace Terastation Pro II
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:59:38 AM »
   Anybody?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »

Procedure

• Download the TFTP Boot software from the FTP site. There is adifferent version of the software for each NAS device. It is currentlyon available on the FTP site, but may soon be on the main Buffalo site.
ftp://24.153.165.234/disk1/share/nas-recovery

• The Software is a self-extractor, so when the user click onfile it will ask them where they want to extract the files to. TheDesktop is a good choice, but anywhere will work just as good.
  • Set the IP address on the computer to 192.168.11.1
  • Connect the Buffalo NAS to the computer, or for an easier way, connect the computer and NAS to a switch or router.
  • Launch the TFTP Boot.exe
  • Boot the Buffalo NAS into EM Mode.
Before the NAS pulls the filesAfter the NAS pulls the files
Make sure the software is "Listening On: 192.168.11.1"
If it does not you must stop the software and restart it.
  • It may take up to 60 seconds for the NAS to boot off TFTP and be detected by the NasNavi
    • A copy of the NasNavi.exe is included

Image:TFTP Boot NasNavi.png

• Once the NasNavi utility "sees" the Buffalo, you can start the firmware update.
EDIT: Fixed images.
Message Edited by Colin137 on 02-26-2009 05:18 PM

slim19198

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »

Have already done all of this, the error I get is when trying to install the firmware, have tried different drives now as well!!

I can get it to boot from the TFTP server, but this does not allow you to open any interface to format the drives, and the firmware updater cannot format the drives for some reason!!

Any other  ideas?

slim19198

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »

Do the drives have to be formatted with any filesystem before being installed?

slim19198

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:15:26 PM »

Ok. this is how far I have gotten

Tried new drives - not working

tried old drives (after formatting in windows) - not working

EM boot - working

firmware updating - not working (cannot format drives???)

So, I can boot EM, load from TFTP, nas navigator can see it, but no web interface, so cannot format the drives!

So the catch seems to be, the firmware needs to save stuff to the drives, but the drives are not formatted!!!

The firmware cannot format the drives (ACP_STATE_FAILURE)

After booting from TFTP - EMERGENCY MODE - NO ARRAY INFO

so, is there any way to prepare the new drives to work with this or am I dumping it???

casper_frestyl

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
   I am having the exact same problem.  I've tried everything.  Is there some manual way to load the firmware?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:42:12 PM »
Make sure there are no firewalls or antivirus software running, and also try having the device plugged directly into the NAS

glofthus

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

Hello Paul

The links for the images of this procedure are broken.  Can you fix or repost this?

Thanks

Greg 

robhiddinga

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

Hello

I have the E04 error but  TFTP does not find my TeraStation.

Have updated via TSupdater, but still the E04 error.

Any suggestions ?

Can you put the pictures back online? 

Tekkie2009

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »

Think i might have cracked this problem..though i have a Terastation LIve

Very simply put.. use / abuse the Raid functions.. however you want to call it

Remove 1 drive at a time , rebuilding the raid..  and remove another one, rebuild, until all drives are replaced with the bigger new ones, This worked for me, took me some time to get the raid back up and working again..  

For some reason its not possible to install the firmware wwith fresh drives that are not formated, and dont have anything on it in any way as as i concluded sofar, maybe bugs in the software ? The TFTP software sees the station, but the firmware installer doesnt see the system what ever you do

Charles

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 10:50:14 PM »

Hi all.  I just replaced both of the original 500GB in my LinkStation Pro Duo with 2 1TB WD drives.  It took some time, but I was able to do it just like Paul described (the pictures were a lot of help).  First I changed my laptop's ip address to 192.168.11.1, hooked up the NAS directly to the laptop LAN port, run the TFTPboot.exe, and watched the files pulled successfully (my display looked exactly like the second photo labeled "After the NAS pulls the files".  At this point I unhooked the NAS (WITHOUT turning it off) from the laptop, hooked it to the router, connected laptop to the router, and set the laptop back to DHCP address.  I then run the "BUFFALO NAS navigator" (nasnavi.exe) located in the same folder as the TFTPboot.exe file.  It run and it gave me EXACTLY the same display as in Paul's picture number three.  at this point, and WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING ELSE, I run the "LSUpdater" firmware file which I had downloaded earlier from the Buffalo website (in my case, version 3.09).  Windows Vista gave a message that it needed to further "extract" more files, so I let it, and run it.  From there it was all downhill!!  The updater program told me that it needed to format the drives (those drives had content because they had been used briefly in another NAS).  It took some time for the drives to format and for the updater to install all the necessary files, reboot, etc.  But that was it.

Note: when I first run the WebAdmin utility I found that it was all in.....was it Chinese? Or maybe Japanese.  If this happens to you just click on "basic" (the second option at the left column) and at the bottom of the page you can change the language back to English.

So thank you, Paul, and everyone else.  Good night.

aberco

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »

Hello everyone,

I guess I'm in the same situation as slim19198, and it seems that the situation was not solved for him... I also have a Terastation II Pro in which the drives were replaced and formatted. I cannot get it to work anymore and it is giving me the E07 error without even trying to spin the drives.

Booting the unit on result in an E07 "All drive missing" just after POST

Booting the unit with the init switch pressed enters into EM Mode, displaying an E06 "No boot sector". This is where I have set up the TFTP server on my mac. At this point the Terastation manage to recover the boot files without any problem, and the fan start to spin. Then, drive presence is being tested, and although none of them are spinning, they are indicated as missing one after an other, with an error E16. Then the unit just stay there doing nothing.

NASNavigator2 see the unit with no firmware, in EM mode. 

I tried to use the TSUpdater (on a PC), which also see the unit. When clicking on "Update" it says "couldn't confirm that a partition exists on the TARGET. Updater will format the TARGET and will update the TARGET. ***All of data will be lost*** Do you want to format and update"

when clicking yes it ends up with the following error "Failed to formatting. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE) Updating is aborted.

I think I tried everything possible at this point. Any help to revive the unit would be greately appreciated. 

aendruk

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 12:09:36 AM »

I am having the same problem.

After clicking Update in TSUpdater, I am prompted with:

Couldn't confirm that a partition exists on the TARGET. Updater will format the TARGET and will update the TARGET. ***All of the data will be lost*** Do you want to format the TARGET?

When I then click Yes, this error message is displayed:

Failed to formatting. (ACP_STATE_FAILURE) Updating is aborted.

The Terrastation Live is plugged directly into the computer and there is no firewall running. The drives do not have any partitions; should I partition them prior to running the firmware updater?

aendruk

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 02:28:45 AM »

Got it solved. I didn't have all four drives in earlier (was waiting for a couple to be ready for me), but retrying the firmware update with all drives installed worked flawlessly.