Author Topic: Buffalo TeraStation (Original 1TB: TS-1.0?) and Mac OS X - copying files  (Read 3271 times)

kinisuruna

• Calf

I have had my TeraStation for some years now... which I think is a really good statement about the quality of Buffalo gear... although I recently switched (in the last year or less) to a Mac environment.

When copying individual files from my MacBook Pro to the TeraStation I have no issues at all... but when I start getting into the 6+ number of files range, it *will* (not sometimes, rather all the time) stop at some point and tell me basically 'cannot copy [file] since it is in use' even though the file is not in use and has not even been opened since the most recent boot of my MacBook Pro. Now right off the bat I think many people (like I did) would pin this on the Mac side of things... but with that said writing to network drives (also samba shares) has no problems at all. I should say that I experience this also with my Mac Mini which is connected via RJ45 to my router... meaning it's repeatable on other Macs, but also that the Wireless vs RJ45 seems to be out of the equation.

On the TeraStation I dont have AppleTalk enabled since from what I could find Mac OS X doesnt even use AppleTalk (which is quite dated protocol anyhow) and I use the TeraStation as a Samba share... is there something 'special' I need to do with a Mac to efficiently talk to my TeraStation TS-1.0?

* So far my only work-around (and yeah, this is silly but it works) is I have to ZIP the files on my mac together... no matter how many files or the size... copy the single ZIP file to the TeraStation and then unzip them on the TeraStation, and then move the files where I want them. Alternatively though I can use FTP to transfer the files which also works... :/

Thanks for any help! It's getting old using the ZIP-copy-unZIP-move and FTP methods for simple network file transfers...

Cheers!

-Dustin

kinisuruna

• Calf
Re: Buffalo TeraStation (Original 1TB: TS-1.0?) and Mac OS X - copying files
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »

Good news... after a few days I finally just wrote Buffalo tech-support and they had the answer... instead of using the TeraStation as a samba (smb://) share, the suggested trying afp://. It worked pretty instantly and took care of the issues!

So yeah... on the Mac just use afp:// and not smb://...