Author Topic: Linkstation down!!!!  (Read 4604 times)

cubanomx

• Calf
Linkstation down!!!!
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:20:53 AM »

We support an small office with 10 users. A Buffalo linkstation is the main storage solution (we backup to another external hard drive every 48 hours).

Yesterday we lost access to the shares in the Linkstation. I was able to ping the unit but web access was not available. The red light in the front flash continuosly so we turn off the linkstation following the regular procedure.

After wait some minutes and turn on again the unit, we don't get connection, shares, ip address and the NAV software do not detect the device. No ping either, very weird.

We are worried about this because we recommend the Linkstation to the client as a good raid solution and we had this issue in a brand new Buffalo device (15 days).

Can please someone help me how to gain access again to this unit?. Last backup was performed on August 27 so we have one day of data lost, recovery of this data will be required is possible.

Please help!

cubanomx

• Calf
Re: Linkstation down!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:24:27 AM »

I forgot about the enviroment. Here we go:

- Buffalo Linkstation Pro duo

Model LS-W2.0TGL/R1-US

manual IP 192.168.1.200

mask 24bits

no domain

single workgroup

Windows XP

No firewall

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »
Are you getting any error lights now?  If so what kind of pattern are they blinking in?

cubanomx

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

After lot of hours trying, reading in the forums, in the internet, etc I was able to flash the Linkstation.

After flash and restart, I get access to the data and the web interface. I backup all the data first and check in the web interface looking for a log or something. No log at all. I only see a warning indicating the RAID had issues. Now is rebuilding the RAID.

I have a question: Why this happening? Yesterday when I was informed all data was unavailable and I see the Linkstation alarmed, not accesible, not pingeable... this was really a nightmare. I recommended more than 30 Terastation units to clients and is the first time this happens (is my first linkstation).

There is any reason for this critical issue?. Lost all data, shares, network connectivity in an office production enviroment is a real issue and I don't see a 24x7 support phone in the website.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »

I've answered this here:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&thread.id=14764

please do not cross post again.

cubanomx

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:58:24 PM »

Now I have Orange warning lights, no red ones.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

The array is rebuilding, which is why I think you may have a bad HDD, we will have to see once it is completed.  Our support number is listed on our website:

http://www.buffalotech.com/contact/

cubanomx

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:07:37 PM »

Thanks very much. I writed down the contact info for future emergencies.

Please let me know what I need to do if in fact we have a bad HDD??

Or there is any way to TEST if the hard drives are OK???

I don't understand if a drive is BAD why we lost connectivity/access instead of getting the Raid Benefits!

Thanks in advance.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
There isn't really a way to test.  See if the restructure goes through OK then reboot it.  See if it gives you an error.  If it's a bad HDD the unit will let you know.