Author Topic: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."  (Read 3989 times)

MrPhred

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
"An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:52:19 am »
   

My stuff: Model LS-W2.0TGL/R1 Pro Duo.

 

I purchased and configured this unit two weeks ago, and have been using it ever since.

 

Today, when I attempted to open the Configuration GUI, it does not prompt me for a user name and password. Instead, it displays this error message:

 

 --------------

An error occurred within LinkStation settings. Please click here to set again.

 --------------

 

When I click this link, the same page appears again. And, again.

 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

 

 


PCPiranha

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 2209
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »
I would try resetting the unit.  It if is a configuration problem then this should clear it up.

MrPhred

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:07:09 am »
   Thank you for the advice, PCPiranha. I reset the unit as you advised. However, it did not behave as I would have expected. It did revert to using DHCP to fetch its IP address (rather than using the fixed IP address I'd previously configured). However, the hostname I'd previously configured did *not* revert to the factory default. Worst of all, it still does not prompt me for a user name and password. It still presents the error message previously described. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks.

PCPiranha

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 2209
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 02:44:37 pm »
Is all of the data backed up on the unit?  If so, boot the unit into em mode and force update the firmware with all of the options checked.  If the data is not backed up then select all of the options except 'rebuild partition table'.

MrPhred

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:52 am »
   Again, thank you so much for your assistance, PCPiranha.

In answer to your question, yes - all data on the unit is backed up. Twice ;)

In preparation for forcing a firmware update as you suggested, I went to the "Downloads" section of the Buffalo website and selected version 3.09 of the firmware for download. I selected a "Product Series Name" of "LS-W2.0TGL/R1", and entered my 14-digit "Serial Number". The website informed me that my serial number was invalid. I tried this multiple times with someone looking over my shoulder to ensure I didn't mistype the serial number.

Question: Am I correct in assuming that the serial number being requested is the 14-digit number found on the back panel of the unit? If so, why will the website not allow me to download the firmware?

At this point, I know I'm starting to sound like a helpless dope. I appreciate your patience. I swear I'm not a complete dope. Well, ... at least on a good day ;)

PCPiranha

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 2209
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 02:54:54 pm »

Don't worry MrPhred,

 

"In answer to your question, yes - all data on the unit is backed up. Twice" This alone proves that you aren't a helpless dope ;)

 

Give me the 14 digit number in a PM.  Also where did you purchase this unit?


MrPhred

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:38:18 pm »
   PM's on the way. Thanks.

PCPiranha

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 2209
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:45 pm »
Phred, can you give me the full model number?  There should be two letters at the end of it like US, AP, EU ect.

PCPiranha

  • Big Bull
  • *****
  • Posts: 2209
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:07 pm »

Sorry Mr Phred, we are working on getting that fixed right now, just disregard my last message.  I will post an FTP link in a couple min.

 

 



MrPhred

  • Calf
  • *
  • Posts: 5
Re: "An error occurred within LinkStation settings."
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:21:07 am »
   Okay, that procedure made me really nervous. But, PCPiranha, YOU ROCK! My NAS now appears to have regained its sanity and prompts me for user name and password as it should. I'm a happy boy!

Just for future reference, I though I'd outline all the oddball things I did to my NAS that may (or may not) have lead up to this problem. Who knows, maybe this will be of some use to you, your firmware geeks, or others:

- After unboxing the unit and reading the documentation, I decided (perhaps foolishly) not to install any of the software that came on the LinkNavigator CD. It appeared to me it really wasn't necessary.
- I assigned a hostname of "NAS-1", set my time zone to "GMT-04:00", and enabled NTP (pointing it to time.nist.gov for a weekly update).
- I disabled DHCP and assigned a fixed IP address of "192.168.1.11".
- I assigned the workgroup name "WESTERNTRAIL".
- I configured the unit for RAID1 operation.
- I added several users and shares.
- I deleted the "share" share. (This may have been a bad idea. Later, after I began having problems and attempted to install the software on the LinkNavigator CD it failed, perhaps due to this share being gone.)

After that, the unit ran fine for a week or more before giving me the problem that led me here.

Again, thank you so much for your help and patience. I'm off to play with my newly resurrected NAS...