Author Topic: Rsync errors during backup  (Read 3384 times)

yossarian21

• Calf
Rsync errors during backup
« on: August 23, 2009, 08:23:38 PM »

Hello,

I have a 2 TB Buffalo Terastation NAS - HS-DHTGL/R5, running fw version 2.14.  I've been having issues backup up to a USB drive.

Originally, I was backing up to a 300GB USB drive, but that (obviously) couldn't hold all my data.  And I recently noticed that my backups were failing with this error:

TERASTATION@usbdisk1 --------
usbdisk1: drive not mounted.

I decided to buy a 1.5 TB Seagate FreeAgent XTreme external USB drive so I can have a more complete backup.  The drive came preformatted as NTFS.  The NAS recognized the drive but the share was read-only, so I followed the undocumented advice and reformatted the drive to XFS.  Then I set up my backups to this device.  I started with an "everything" backup schedule, but this kept erroring out (rsync errors) partway through, so I created four separate backup jobs, distributing my data among the jobs and scheduling them for different days.

The first two scheduled days have passed, and I'm still getting these rsync errors on both jobs:

TERASTATION@usbdisk1 --------
building file list ...
99898 files to consider
rsync: cannot stat destination "/mnt/usbdisk1/_backups": Input/output error (5)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(493) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463) [sender=2.6.8]

I can map the usbdisk1 share on my Windows computer, but no files are listed even though the NAS admin UI says that 15% of it is being used.  I can successfully run a disk check on the USB drive from NAS UI.  It seems like the USB drive works ok for a while after rebooting the NAS, then some error occurs during backups.

Anyone else encountered this?  Any advice?  I can't tell if it's a problem with the NAS or the USB drive, though I suspect the NAS because it "forgot" about my old USB drive, too.

yossarian21

• Calf
Re: Rsync errors during backup
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »
   I found this discussion about FreeAgent drives.  http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&message.id=1296  I used the Seagate Manager software (included with the drive) to disable power saving features, and now the backups seem to be working as I expect.