Author Topic: Can't access NAS via web  (Read 12521 times)

markusmark

• Calf
Can't access NAS via web
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »

We installed a Buffalo LinkStation Pro Duo.  I connected it to the LAN via a Linksys switch.  My computer and the NAS are connected to the switch.  There is one other person on the segment of the LAN and he can access the NAS via the web (www.buffalonas.com).  I can access the NAS via the NAS app and the web also.  No one else can access the NAS via the web.  Sugestions?

Thanks

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: Can't access NAS via web
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:24:04 AM »

The easiest way to get this going (assuming you have routers separating network segments, or assuming no one outside your network can access the web):

IF you are referring to "Web Access" (the file explorer interface) do the following to get this setup easily (you can change settings later as you see fit):

Step 1: Configure your router to Forward port 9000 to your Linkstation on port 9000.

Step 2: Configure your Linkstation Web Access settings to have external port 9000.

Step 3: Configure your name + key in Web Access settings and use buffalonas.com option.

Assuming Step 1 was successful (some routers may need to be rebooted etc for settings to actually start working) and you configured things properly in steps 2 and 3, you should be in business.

Typically people have problems w/ validating that Step 1 was successful, but it's a Router-level issue.

Let us know if this works.

---

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply.  I should have described the network in a bit more detail.  The NAS and my computer are on the Linksys switch.  The other person's computer, a scanner/printer/fax and the switch are on a Linksys router in a room on the floor above. There are other routers in this room, all connected to a cable modem to access the internet via Comcast.  

Do your suggestionsstill fit our situation?

Thanks!

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »

markusmark wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I should have described the network in a bit more detail.  The NAS and my computer are on the Linksys switch.  The other person's computer, a scanner/printer/fax and the switch are on a Linksys router in a room on the floor above. There are other routers in this room, all connected to a cable modem to access the internet via Comcast.  

Do your suggestionsstill fit our situation?

Thanks!

Ooo..."Maybe" :)

Of your routers, I'm assuming the router behind the Cable Model is the router that is assigning your local LAN IP addresses (i.e. DHCP is running only on the router behind the cable modem?).

If so, then yes, perform the port forwarding on that router :) 

But to be clarify, are your other 'routers' actually doing any routing on your LAN, or are you simply using them as switches? 

---

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »

Good question!!!!  I assumed (we all know how bad that is) that Comcast was performing DHCP.  There are multiple cable splitters and multiple cable modems in the the room with the routers.

Ok, now what?

Thanks again!

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:08:42 AM »

If you can list your devices and the way they are connected to eachother, we should be able to quickly figure out where your LAN IP's (via DHCP) are coming from, and should be able to get this setup fairly easily.

Worst thing would be to have port forwarding to a router to port forward to port forward again :( (messy, troublesome, and for a home wayy overkill) :)

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:18:33 AM »

Good idea!!!!

Comcast cable via (at least) one splitter to a Linksys (I think) cable modem to an SMC 4-port router and individual cat 5 lines to a computer, the switch (my computer and the NAS) and the copier/scanner/printer.

I guess I should have sent this with the 1 st message!

Thanks!!!!

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
   The 4-port router may be a D-link.  Not sure.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »

No worries, that should be enough info. :)

Your validation is on a Windows machine on your network:

open a command prompt and type: ipconfig

and press enter.

You should see a listing for "Default gateway".

Open up a web browser to that Ip address.  Is it the Linksys modem or the SMC (or Dlink) router?

I'm going to guess it's the Router... :)

Assuming it's the router, then you're in business.  The configuration required should be done on that router and you're good to go.

Sorry for drawing this thread out, just wanted to be sure of your device setup etc.

---

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »

I really appreciate your help.  I'll do this on Monday AM as the NAS is at my office.  I will let you know what happens.

Thanks again!!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:18:56 PM »
Also Mark do you have a model number for that Linksys modem?  I want to make sure it doesn't have any routing capabilities (it shouldn't but just in case)

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »

@PCPiranha,

Yeah it's possible he's got a 'Linksys Cable Gateway' (modem + router combo), but the Linksys/Cisco branding has been very consistent as 'Gateway' so if it's a true (by branding) Linksys Modem, no integrated router+switch. 

I would agree though, i was a bit reckless in the above assumption :)

Thanks for the sanity check on this point sir.

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 07:24:40 AM »

Someone changed the password to the Linksys BEFSR41 router without recording it somewhere!!!!!  I'm tempted to reset the router but I'm wondering how hard it is to reconfig.  I have the Linksys user guide.  The only hosts on the router are a PC, the printer/copier/scanner/fax, and the Linksys switch to which the NAS and my computer are attached.  BTW, I was able to quickly set up a wireless net in my condo.

Thanks for your help.

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »

Hmmmm, I reset the Linksys router and configured it according to your instructions.  I created a new password and recorded it.  However, we still can't access the NAS via the web.  What's next????

Thanks!

Mark

markusmark

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:43:52 AM »

To continue, I also ensured that the NAS port is set to "9000."

Question:  When I configured the router's "Port Range and Forwarding," I called the app "NAS."  I set the port start and finish to "9000."  I entered the NAS's IP adx. 

Suggestions?