Author Topic: TeraStation HD-H0.6TGL/R5 - fails to talk after power outage (now a Brick!)  (Read 5426 times)

jburrell

• Calf

We have 2 of these units deployed - both units exhibiting the same sypmtoms!

- User reported diag light flashing a sequence of 5 (firmware error) when I picked up the units

- unable to ping either unit.

- Configured a static dhcp address on a Tomato LinkSys - it finally got the set address.

- I can now ping one of the units, however, no WEB Access, no telnet, no ftp - basically no access!

- none of the original firmware update tools can even 'see' the unit.  

-NASNavigator does detect the unit, but says its in EM Mode no matter how I boot it.

- Tried resetting the unit by holding the INIT button for 30 sec, then rebooting it.

- Forced into EM mode by holding the INIT button while booting it.

- LEDs now look normal (only the Link/Act light blinks as I am pinging it)

Very strange that both units failed in the same way at the same time.  Both units were connected to a UPS, so a power surge is not very likely (altho possible!)

Any ideas on how to get this unit back operational?  I don't need another brick!

Thanks! 

Message Edited by jburrell on 08-16-2009 01:53 PM

jburrell

• Calf

May want to add one more item to your FAQ... Tried directly connecting to an XP Pro workstation instead of a Vista Home Premium that I had been connecting on the same segment thru a switch... The 112-104 firmware updater found one of the units and applied the firmware!  It showed no version for currently loaded firmware, by the way...

Very odd, but it works!  No longer a Brick!  :)

jburrell

• Calf

Not so fast! (to quote Lee Corso!)

Web interface is all in Chinese!  Now I have to find a solution to that! 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull

Try following these steps to change the device back to English:

1. Connect to the web configuration utility by entering the TeraStation's IP address in a web browser.
2. In the column of blue items on the left hand side, select the second link.
3. Under the first header are two text fields; enter or modify the text in the second.
4. Under the third header, the first entry is a radio selection with two options; select the one on the right.
5. Under the fourth header (with two menu/pulldown boxes beneath it),set both menu boxes to the second entry in the list (the second menubox should say cp437).
6. Click the button, and close and reopen the browser.

jburrell

• Calf

Thanks, Piranha!

I found the screen shots in the documentation to assist with that...  That did work this time. Had a unit that would not work on before and it was RMA'd.