Author Topic: LS-CHL refuses connection from internet  (Read 12444 times)

packdog

• Calf
LS-CHL refuses connection from internet
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »

So I cannot gain access to my NAS from the internet. I've set up my WRT-54GS to port forward 9000 and 9009 (my nas web access external port). all of my equipment on my LAN have static IPs. I'm running a cable modem (motorla surfboard, don't know the model number as i'm at work) but i doubt i'm double nat'd.

I played with canyouseeme.org and found:

port 9000 Success: I can see your service on XX.XX.XX.XXX on port (9000) Your ISP is not blocking port 9000

Port 9009: (the port i've set the nas to run through and the router to foward) Error: I could not see your service on xx.xx.xx.xxx on port (9009) Reason: Connection refused

9011 (firewalled port): Error: I could not see your service on xx.xx.xx.xxx on port (9011) Reason: Connection timed out 

The success does not suprise me, as buffalonas.com will consistantly provide the proper IP address and port so i know that connection is getting out. Notice the two error reasons: refused and timed out. It seems like the NAS is refusing the connection before asking for a log in. can anyone explain what's going on and how to work around this?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: LS-CHL refuses connection from internet
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 04:36:29 PM »
Packdog, the web access service ONLY runs on port 9000.  If you want you can forward public WAN port 9009 to private LAN port 9000.

packdog

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »

I was under the impression that the communication to Buffalonas.com was via 9000 and we SHOULD NOT setup our external port to step on that. my understanding was that actual data transmission was configured in the NAS admin: web access: service setup: auto configure firewall *Disabled external port:9000 (or 9009) (or *enabled (UPnP).

regardless, both 9000 and 9009 are port fowarded through my router and i've tried to connect from the internet via port 9000, 9009, and with *enabled (UPnP) and which ever port it dictates in the external port box. it doesn't accept connections.

Am i looking at this all wrong? is this a port triggering issue not a port fowarding issue?
Message Edited by packdog on 08-12-2009 07:53 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »

The Web Access service on the Linkstation runs on TCP port 9000 (this is on the LOCAL network). That port cannot be changed.

The External Port number (in the Web Access-> Service Setup section) is given to BuffaloNAS.com, along with the public IP address assigned to you by your ISP. BuffaloNAS.com does not channel your files, it merely redirects your browser to

http://xx.xx.xx.xx:port/
, (that's supposed to be a colon next to the letter p)where "xx.xx.xx.xx" is your public IP address, and "port" is the External Port number. After the redirect happens, your browser is communicating directly with the Linkstation's Web Access service.

If you use External Port: 9000, the port forwarding you have to do is much easier. You can just forward port 9000 to the Linkstation's local IP address, with no mucking around with Public (WAN) ports or Private LAN ports. The connection looks like this:

Your remote computer --> TCP port 9000 --> Router's public IP address --> TCP port 9000 --> Linkstation's private IP address

If you set External Port to anything other than 9000, you'll need to do more specialized port forwarding, and your router needs to support it. In your case, forward Public (WAN) port 9009 to Private (LAN) port 9000, and the connection looks like this:

Your remote computer --> TCP port (External Port) --> Router's public IP address --> TCP port 9000 --> Linkstation's private IP address

Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-12-2009 07:58 PM
Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-12-2009 07:59 PM
Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-12-2009 08:00 PM
Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-12-2009 08:00 PM

packdog

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »

Thank you Colin137. But this hasn't helped my remote connection issue.

Another example, I can set the router to allow remote management and open it up and play with all my settings from the internet by WAN IP:8080 (I can get through the modem, so that should be bridged). my router is set to port foward TCP 9000 to NAS LAN IP. Buffalonas.com recieves my updated WAN IP and appropriate port # (communication gets out) but when i log in directly to WAN IP:9000 the connection times out. 

Am i'm missing a step on the port fowarding (wan v. lan)? there is some rumor about port fowarding not working properly and people installing tomato (etc.) firmware on their routers. am i going to have to do this? i would really rather not...

LS-CH500L v1.07 + WRT54GS v 1.70.0 + motorola SB5101

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
I don't really see why it's not working that way, since earlier, canyouseeme.org told you port 9000 was open. PM me with you buffalonas.com name, along with a test user and password and your current web access settings, and I'll check it out.

packdog

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:42 PM »

It gets better! I have no idea what happened, but now i can't get the disk to update buffalonas.com. In the nas admin, web access, service setup page. I cannot aviod the error bnas_updatedfail. I've tried UPnP on/off and several different ports, I've even reset the router re-applied the port fowards and updated the firmware, but it will not update buffalonas.com apparently.

grrrr....

packdog

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 08:13:24 PM »

IT WORKS!!

so as i mentioned in my previous post, i updated the router firmware and reset to factory defaults, i also reset the NAS to default settings. I don't know what i did, but by undoing it, it all worked! Thank you everyone for helping out.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:56 PM »
Sweet, that's good news. I'm glad we could help.