Author Topic: New owner of LS-CH1.0TL  (Read 8491 times)

foxzilla

• Calf
New owner of LS-CH1.0TL
« on: August 06, 2009, 03:24:02 PM »

Hello,

Just got my first NAS drive few days ago (Linkstation Live, firmware 1.10) and now I got some questions for you :)

1. My drive does constant read/write noise (a very short burst every 1-4 seconds) even when all computers are turned off on my network. Why is this, is it normal or something I should worry about?

2. HDD Spindown option: I haven't seen or heard it spindown at all even though I have enabled this feature. Could this have something to do with Q#1?

3. If I have the power switch set to 'auto', is there any way to wake up the drive remotely (through internet) to access files? If not, it's disappointing especially when the spindown function isn't working. Basically means that if I want to access it remotely I'll have to keep the drive always on - which feels like a stupid thing to do since more than 50% of the time its function would be heating my apartment.. Not very eco-minded like it says on the box.

Other than these, I'm very happy with my purchase, and the backup software that came with it seems like a good product too. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: New owner of LS-CH1.0TL
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »

Please post the full model number of the device.

1. In the Media Server section, set Automatic Update to Remain. The media server indexes the drive by default, this can cause that type of activity. 

2. I believe so.

3. If you can figure out a way to send Wake on LAN packets to the device every 30 seconds or so, it will keep it up. This is the same thing that the NASNavigator software does to enable the Auto power feature.

These devices draw very little power when idle.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-06-2009 04:38 PM

foxzilla

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:07:00 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply!

I thought I already posted the full model number (in the title), I couldn't find anything else.. Can you tell me where to look for it?

1. I set it to Remain, but it had no effect (it was set to refresh every 60 minutes).

I tried to record the sound it makes, but it's quite difficult because the fan creates a strong backround noise.. http://rapidshare.com/files/264669384/buffalolivestation.mp3.html

(oh and if anyone knows a better way to host an audio file, let me know..)

3. Thanks for this info, I'll see what I can do..

Even though the device doesn't consume lot of power, 17W (that says on the box) is still something you'll notice.. And if it uses the hard drive all the time like it is doing right now, I would imagine that to give up sooner too.

Message Edited by foxzilla on 08-07-2009 04:07 AM

foxzilla

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »

Bump..

Anyone with a Linkstation Live could answer to my first and second question (let alone buffalo employee) so please hit the reply button and let me know! :)

Or should I interpret Coli137s message as 'not normal' and so there would be something wrong with my device?

(here's someone else with the same problem: http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=SolvedStorageThreads&message.id=2385#M2385)

Message Edited by foxzilla on 08-10-2009 07:36 AM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:36:33 PM »

foxzilla,

I was wondering if there's any characters after LS-CHT1.0TL, sorry I didn't make that clear. I've forwarded a report of this issue to our development team. It looks like the issue affects the Terastation III as well, so it might not be something with just your device. If you can get the device exchanged at the retailer, then we'll know how common the issue is.

Message Edited by Colin137 on 08-10-2009 10:37 PM

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »

@Colin137,

As an fyi, seems like Linkstation XHL, Terastation III, and Terastation Duo so far..hope to have some update as to whether it's the drive or not.

Do you know if there's a way foxzilla can validate what type of drive is inside his LS-CH1.0TL?

If so this might help prove or disprove my current working theory (drives are trying to unload every 10 seconds or so but they keep going).

And once again, thanks for all your help sir!

@foxzilla,

If you can check (Without voiding your warranty, perhaps via the Web Gui) can you provide the drive make/model that resides inside the LS_CH1.0TL?  I'm thinking Western Digital but if there's a way you could report this, might help in coorelating the issue (regarding spindown not working). 

Thanks!

---

buckchucko

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 04:51:50 AM »
   I have the same issue. Mine will not spin down either and I have media server disabled and no other PC's running.

foxzilla

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »

Colin137,

LS-CH1.0TL-EU - didn't realize there were more to it, just looked it up from buffalotech.com.

rinthos,

The 'Storage' portion of the administration site says "Unit name: WD10EADS-00L5B1". So I guess you guessed right :)

Thanks everyone for replying, it's good to know I'm not alone in here. Hope to see an official statement from Buffalo or even better, a patch to fix this sooner or later (sooner preferred).

Message Edited by foxzilla on 08-11-2009 08:02 AM

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »

@foxzilla,

Thanks for the info.  Definately it's a Western Digital Green drive, same drive in the Terastation III's and Duo's I've got.  Going to continue w/ my testing of other model drives to see if it resolves the issue. Will keep you posted.  Will post back by end of week w/ results.

---

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »

@buckchucko,

Can you post which model drive is in your system as foxzilla has?

Thanks!

---

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »

Well, I'm sorry that it came to this, but here's the official response:

The spin down feature is being phased out, due to the requirements of the storage system needing to update swap files, log files, etc. Spin down interferes with these other requirements.

As the operating system lives on the drives, the consistant disk access is normal.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »

@Colin137,

That's a huge disappointment, but thanks for the response.

I'll post this in the feedback thread as well, but please note that with the emphasis on 'green' in the IT community, this is not a popular decision for businesses.

We're looking for 'green' but also available/reliable.  The timed-shutdowns are great for green, but hurt availability.  Drive spindown is able to achieve the best of both worlds.  If there's feedback to communicate back we'd appreciate it.

Again thanks for the answer though, I'll go ahead and cancel my testing at this point since this does indeed answer the question.

packdog

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »

I see this has been solved, but I'd like to throw in my $.02

If you have media (mp3s, movies etc) stored on the drive and you use windows media player, there is a constant search being preformed by Windows media player looking for new media to add to the library. just remove the folders from being scanned in windows media player and the drive MAY go silent long enough to spin down. Or not. It worked with my drivestation.

buckchucko

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:02:12 PM »
   Under unit name mine says "HD103UJ".  What drive is this????

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 08:50:18 PM »