Author Topic: How to factory reset LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1?  (Read 8795 times)

alanh

• Calf
How to factory reset LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1?
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »

We seem to be having some trouble with our LinkStation, which in trying to solve I seem to have made worse. I've read the FAQ and searched the forum extensively, but it seems different models have conflicting ways of doing things. I would like to reset factory settings, can somebody tell me the definitive way to do this for the above model. I cannot see it on the network so it has to be a hardware method.

The original problem was it could be pinged on the network, but not navigated to via its (pseudo) windows share or web interface. I restarted it by switching it off then on again, to no avail. I then found a reference to holding down the func button while power on to reset factory settings, which did something different but since then the device will not correctly power up or power down. I've tried every combination of buttons I can and have read, e.g. hold func for > 15 seconds, tried pinging on the EM mode address, etc. On power now I get the green power light flashing for about 3 seconds then the red ! light for 6 flashes. This seems to be some sort of disk error? 

I've no idea what caused the problem in the first place as the device has been working just fine for about a year. The server that connected to it was off site for just over a week and on its return no connection was able to be made.

Any help greatly appreciated.

sethz

• El Toro
Re: How to factory reset LinkStation Pro Duo LS-WTGL/R1?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
   Unfortunately the six flashes do indicate a disk error. If the Navigator program can see the device, you may be able to solve the problem with a firmware update.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:06:58 PM »

alanh

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:28:28 AM »

Thankyou for your help, I now have the linkstation working again. A couple of suggestions based on my experience to make it more simple:

1) Change the title of the thread you linked to spell light correctly - "red lite" would not have come up on my search! I realise this is the end-users spelling mistake, but correcting would help searching.

2) Way down the thread I found the magic bit about holding the func button for 5 seconds to effect the TFTP boot - this needs to go into the instructions in the sticky note as without it doesn't do anything.

3) While there are the sticky notes to do all of this, some sort of overall sticky to co-ordinate their use would be helpful. I didn't know if I needed to go into EM to fix my problem or not, I had (still have) no idea what a TFTP boot is and why I would need to do one.

Please don't take the above as critical, just trying to improve help for future users.

Thanks again

Message Edited by alanh on 08-11-2009 01:29 PM

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
Ill see what I can do for you.