Author Topic: LinkStation Live (with bittorrent) 1TB sleep option? Spindown time?  (Read 7521 times)

tomik

• Calf

Hi,

I just got my LinkStation a couple days ago and now I've been messing with the sleep option.

I noticed the "Wake up at" and "Begin sleep at" -fields are mislabeled (they should be the other way round at least what comes to the error message when setting them to their labels).

If I set the Wake up at to 07:00 and Begin sleep at to 01:00 (this means I want to make the HD sleep at nights) the website gives me an error "Sleep Time of Usage Window 1 is earlier than Awaken Time of Usage Window 1. Please set Sleep Time later than Awaken Time.", which of course isn't right compared to the labels given to the fields. Well, if I put the Wake up at to 01:00 and Begin sleep at to 07:00 it let's me save the settings.

Now I've set up a sleep timer with the times given above to monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and friday. I also have setup a second timer for saturday and sunday from 02:00 to 09:00 (when we stay up later and sleep longer ;) ).

Sadly these settings do not seem to work. I always turn off computers for night time, also PS3 so there's no chance of any computer or device communicating with the disk and result the disk not going to sleep because of that.

Any ideas? I'd like to save energy by putting the HD to sleep at nights, I know it's a small effort, but it's something :).

Also, what's the time for spindown ? I have it enabled.

The device is set for ON from the back panel (not AUTO).

Edit: Firmware version is 1.10

Message Edited by tomik on 07-26-2009 03:18 AM
Message Edited by tomik on 07-26-2009 11:38 AM

matthestar

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Live (with bittorrent) 1TB sleep option? Spindown time?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:12:54 PM »
   Sorry I can't help with your problem :( but I have a question... are you really using firmware 1.10 on an LS-CHL?! And if so which model is it? US, EU, CHINA? Thanks. :)

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »

matthestar wrote:
Sorry I can't help with your problem :( but I have a question... are you really using firmware 1.10 on an LS-CHL?! And if so which model is it? US, EU, CHINA? Thanks. :)

I know it sounds weird because I was able to find 1.07 online, but that's what se administrator-page says.

It is LinkStation Live (with bittorrent), 1TB capacity.

I bought it from Finland and it had UK and Euro-powerplug with it, so it should be EU-model, right?

Also noticed this morning at work that I couldn't access the device after 7:00 in the morning! :(

Edit: I will check the exact model number when I get home... If this helps: All the manual etc -links are directed to Japanese Buffalo website.

Edit2: The package says: "LS-CH1.0TL-EU". And yes, the HD is sleeping right now (there are no lights at all).
Message Edited by tomik on 07-27-2009 03:37 PM

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »

Solved the sleep problem... I put the "time" 25:00 into go to sleep and 7:00 into the wake-up time. Don't know what kind of time is 25:00 in 24h system, but who cares, it works ;).

So, how about the spindown time? 10mins? 30? 60? I haven't found the time anywhere.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52:24 PM »

For drive spindown, I've heard 30 minutes from support...

Although I've not had any luck having it actually work on my Terastation III and Duo units, so not sure if it's fully functional or not, maybe a Buffalo tech can chime in on this...

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »

rinthos wrote:

For drive spindown, I've heard 30 minutes from support...

Although I've not had any luck having it actually work on my Terastation III and Duo units, so not sure if it's fully functional or not, maybe a Buffalo tech can chime in on this...

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have to check if it would work in my Live with the 1.10 firmware. It'd be nice to have :). I guess I need to disconnect the drive from Finder (Mac user) for the drive to think there are no connections alive? Or is even that enough for the spindown to (possibly) work? I mean does the computer still have some kind of connection to the drive through network even it's not connected (mounted) to the Finder?

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »

Well there are services such as the media server etc. that could be scanning the drive contents on regular intervals that would keep drive spinning.  So you'll

What we've done on our Terastations is shut down media server, print server, bit torrent client, and web access  but still no drive spindown.  Googling around shows similar results...

But long story short, you'll need to ensure no I/O in to or out of the drive, as well as no I/O internal to the drive enclosure (i.e. media server scanning etc).

Hope this gives you conditions to test with, and look forward to your findings.

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »

I don't have any mediaservers running 24/7, so it should (?) be enough to disconnect the drive from Finder.

I'll give it a shot after work (there still are 6,5 starving hours to go :smileyvery-happy:) and report here how it goes.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »

External Media servers definately could cause it.  I was actually referring to how Linkstations have an internal DLNA media server, so make sure you disable that, otherwise it may try to rescan itself. :)

---

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »

Ok, I see...

But isn't this quite stupid? You have a device capable of DLNA media server and (possibly) spindown, but you should turn DLNA off to be able to use the spindown feature? :D

There should be logic written in the code, like "if(spindown && numConnections30min == 0) { spindown } else { startDLNAScan }" or something like that.

Or you should be able to set the spindown idle time and DLNA scan time/interval, so you could set the spindown idle time to for example 30min and scan time to 35mins or every night at 3:00 or similar and IF the scan had already started before the spindown time is achieved, the spindown would wait for the scan to stop before spinning down, right?

Does my explanation make any sense...?

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »

Your explanation makes sense. :)

Technically you would try and schedule sparse re-scanning for the DLNA media server component (i.e. once per day or whatever) to mitigate most 'spin-down' interruptions. 

Figured for your testing would be easiest to 'turn it off' to trully eliminate the possibility of a scan kicking off during your 'spin down' period. :)

tomik

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 07:49:36 AM »

Mmkay... I disabled the media server about 10 minutes ago and will report here after ~30mins. We'll see how it goes.

EDIT: Nothing after 30mins, nothing after 60mins, so I guess it's not going to spin down :(.

Message Edited by tomik on 07-29-2009 04:38 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

Well, I'm sorry that it came to this, but here's the official response:

Thespin down feature is being phased out, due to the requirements of thestorage system needing to update swap files, log files, etc. Spin downinterferes with these other requirements.

As the operating system lives on the drives, the consistant disk access is normal.