Author Topic: My Computer/Vista HD-W1.0TIU2/R1  (Read 2825 times)

Scooterface

• Calf
My Computer/Vista HD-W1.0TIU2/R1
« on: July 28, 2009, 08:56:49 PM »

Hi. A quick question here if I may? Actually several. Why should I choose raid 1 if data will be lost on both drives simultaneously? If I should have to back up a raid storage solution to another raid storage solution, wouldn't this be considered rediculous for a home user? I personally feel, if drive 1 or 2 fails, drive 1 or 2 should be a solid backup (the opposite of the failed drive). Now....to my real questions. Thanks for hearing the rant.

The other day when browsing my computer I noticed that my Buffalo drive letter was missing from "My Computer". This has occasionally happened, so I powered off the drive, then back on and........nothing. I noticed the power indicator came on, both drives spun up and drive 1 then 2 lit up and went out. Still no drive in "My Computer". When looking at disk management, it shows the drive, unallocated. My question is this. Why have raid at all if one mirrored drive spanks the other? Let's say a MBR gets clobbered or NTFS or FAT table etc. does this trash the mirrored drive as well? or just the data? I would think the system area would not affect the other drive simply because if one system area is changed, usually data will be lost...re-partitioning, allocations, etc. 

Ok the Buffalo RAID utility see's both drives as green and present. Now mind you, this is the only thing this utility seems to do, which I don't understand. Shouldn't there be a suite of tools to manage these drives? If there is one, I can't find it other than windows. Is there any way to get this data back? Can I disassemble the cabinet, take 1 drive out, move to a external enclosure and access it one drive at a time to see who the offender is? Any help would be appreciated. I am using the firewire interface. I know it works because Disk Management see's it as there/unallocated. The buffalo utility see's both drives and green so now the question is.... How to recover RAID 1 from this mess? How can I rebuild a mirror if Buffalo see's both drives as green? Thanks for hearing the wind...

Scooter

UPDATE***************

This user solved in another forum (unrelated to my drive!) Thanks! 92resolutions

Go here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Read and download the program! It's actually common sense if you have any computer knowledge. If not follow the step by step instructions provided. Thanks 92 resolutions! You're the best!

RAID 1 was a waste of time!!!!!!! and almost a waste of data!

Message Edited by Scooterface on 07-28-2009 11:19 PM
Message Edited by Scooterface on 07-28-2009 11:19 PM

Scooterface

• Calf
Re: My Computer/Vista HD-W1.0TIU2/R1
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »