Author Topic: Linkstation Live with Drivestation backup disk formats and setup  (Read 3506 times)

mgillbee

• Calf
   HI all, I have just purchased a 1Tb Linkstation Live (LS-CH1.0TL) and a 1Tb Drivestation Turbo USB (HD-CE1.0TU2) which I am going to use as a backup plugged into the USB port of the Linkstation. Because I'm new to this and have seen posts where people have had to reformat their drives in order to correctly set up their systems, I want to make sure that I set mine up properly first time. I am running Windows Vista.

I believe the disks are formatted to FAT32 when they arrive. Because of the 4Gb max file size limit I would prefer to reformat the drives. The manual states that XFS or EXT3 is recommended. Windows Vista runs on NTFS. The manual also states that for backup (which I will be using the Drivestation for) the USB drive should be formatted to EXT3, but will my laptop be able to see the Drivestation over the NAS if it's not FAT32? Basically, what is the best format for the Linkstation and what is the best format for the Drivestation?

Also what is the best sequence to set up the Linkstation and Drivestation? I'm thinking I should:
1. Set up and install the Linkstation
2. Format the drive to your recommendation
3. Should I then check for Firmware updates?
4. Set up the Drivestation and plug it into the Linkstation
5. Format the Drivestation to your recommendation via the Linkstation web interface
6. Should I check for firmware updates for the Drivestation and if so, will I need to connect it directly to my laptop or can this be done via the Linkstation?

A lot of questions I know, but I'm just after the peace of mind that I can get it set up right first time rather than trial and error. Thanks in advance for your replies. I hope I haven't put you off with too many questions.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Live with Drivestation backup disk formats and setup
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »

Mgillbee,

The only way to backup to the Drivestation is to format the unit in EXT3 or XFS. The Linkstation can not write to fat32 or NTFS. Windows unfortunatly cannot natavily read EXT3 ox XFS so this drive will be dedicated to the Linkstation unless you purcahse 3rd party software to read the driver through windows. The order of instilation you want to fallow is:

1. Set up and install the linkstation

2. Check for and update firmware on the Linkstation if neccessary

3. Plug the Drivestation into the Linkstation and format the Drivestation through the Linkstations web admin

I hope this helps

mgillbee

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:50:59 AM »
   Thanks ever so much.  I'm guessing the Linkstation should be formatted to NTFS?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »
   No, you cannot format the linkstation to NTFS (well you can but it wont work as a NAS then and you will void your warranty and just have an NTFS internal SATA drive :P) Just leave it as it is by default (xfs)
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
Actually, you cannot format the Linkstation in NTFS at all. Thats only the the drivestation flex net nas. The only options for formating the Linkstation are XFS and ext3. But Davo is right, xfs is best.