Author Topic: "buffalo linkstation updater has stopped working"  (Read 12859 times)

ZBKMD

• Calf
"buffalo linkstation updater has stopped working"
« on: November 08, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »

I am trying to upgrade the firmware for my Linkstaztion EZ LSLGL 534

I downoaded the new firmware( version 2.01) but when I try to install it I get a message; "buffalo linkstation updater has stopped working"  Windows Vista says  that  the program has encountered a problem .

Anyone know how to fix this?

Matt_M

• Buffalo
Re: "buffalo linkstation updater has stopped working"
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 06:23:51 PM »
Set the firmware update to Windows 2000 compatibility mode. To do this,create a shortcut of the firmware update on the desktop. Right click onthe shortcut and go to Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab andset it to "Use Windows 2000 Compatibility" and apply the settings. Makesure that you do not have any firewalls or anti-virus programs runningin the background when performing the firmware update. This may clear up the issue for you.

ZBKMD

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:32:59 PM »
   Thanks for the suggestion.  However  I tried that appraoch without success

thedealman

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:13 PM »

If you mean it can't find you drive anymore, Same here. I've tried it from 2xp machines and a windows 2008 server.

thedealman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »

I have figured this one out. The problem with the ini file. just delete or rename the lsupdater.ini , depending on you folder settings it may just say lsupdater with type configuration file.

TheDealMan

www.TheDealMan.com

ZBKMD

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
   Where do I find the ini file?

thedealman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 12:09:28 PM »
   The file is in the folder (directory) that is created when you unzip the download (firmware for web access 2.10)

Paul

• Big Bull

ZBKMD

• Calf
Re: "b"
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
   I tried making the changes in the ini file but when I launched the updater program I get the same message as before and can't take things any further

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:29 AM »

Have you selected any of the options in the program bar?

right click on the program bar and choose the debug mode.

also make sure all your firewall and antivirus software is disabled. 

thedealman

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »

I 'm not sure what you mean by changes, just delete it. ( or rename it.) post if it work for you.

ZBKMD

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
   I can't get that far; there is no program bar to right click on

phild

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 05:06:15 AM »

I too am having this problem trying to update to 1.02 on a new 1TB Linkstation Live.

As soon as I run the LSupdater.exe, I get the windows message "BUFFALO linkstation updater has stopped working".

I've tried editing the .ini file for a force update but it doesn't even get that far to bring up the taskbar icon.

Compatability mode does not work either!

I am running Vista Home premium (SP1).

I dont know if its related but i also occasionally get the windows message "COM Surrogate has stopped working" ever since i've had the unit on the network.:smileymad:

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Try doing a direct connect to a PC that is on a static IP address of 192.168.11.10

phild

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 04:29:27 AM »

Unfortunately this didn't work either. Exactly the same thing happened as before.

I tried with the NIC and drive both on a 192.168.11.xxx subnet and 192.168.0.xxx subnet.

It seems to me that its a software issue, maybe with Vista, as the error is produced instantly after running the LSUpdater?

I managed to get the Updater to start on an XP SP2 machine using direct connection and got to the stage of passing and writing the firmware, but it bailed after it said it couldnt get a response from the unit after writing.....

I am going to try a Gigabit connection next as this was only 100MBit/sec.

Any ideas? I dont want to be stuc with FW1.01 forever as i'm waiting for a fix so i'm able to write to my BitTorrent folder properly too!

Unfortunately this didn't work either. Exactly the same thing happened as before. I tried with the NIC and drive both on a 192.168.11.xxx subnet and 192.168.0.xxx subnet. It seems to me that its a software issue, maybe with Vista, as the error is produced instantly after running the LSUpdater? I managed to get the Updater to start on an XP SP2 machine using direct connection and got to the stage of passing and writing the firmware, but it bailed after it said it couldnt get a response from the unit after writing..... I am going to try a Gigabit connection next as this was only 100MBit/sec. Any ideas? I dont want to be stuc with FW1.01 forever as i'm waiting for a fix so i'm able to write to my BitTorrent folder properly too!