Author Topic: Terastation Pro TS-HTGL/R5 in Active Directory mode won't share with Vista  (Read 5481 times)

TDThompson

• Calf

We have a Terastation Pro TS-HTGL/R5 F/W 1.20, joined to our Active Directory domain. Vista Business computers on our LAN can't connect to shares if the shares have Active Directory access controls applied: Windows XP clients work perfectly though.

I have already applied the registry fix for NTLM backwards compatability. We can log on with local accounts (users created on the Terastation). However, shares with Active Directory access controls applied refuse to authenticate. The Active Directory domain controller is running Windows 2000 Server.

Example: a share named "share1" with a local user "vistauser" created on the Terastation works fine. A share named "accounting" restricted only to the Accounting group in Active Directory won't. The same shares from a Windows XP Pro system work flawlessly.

Other than resorting to third-party firmware, is there any hope for having a Terastation integrated into an Active Directory domain with Vista support too? It seems the NTLM patch "almost" solves it, but there's something going awry when credentials are passed through to AD.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
   Update to 1.33 first of all and see how you get on ;)
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

TDThompson

• Calf

I think I've found the firmware you're referring to. The model number wasn't a perfect match (TS-HTGL/R5 vs TS-H[number]TGL/R5) so I really hope my assumption that the number is just a size in TB is correct!

Before downing our Terastation for a firmware update: can anyone confirm this issue? I can't find any release notes for the 1.33 firmware, and all it mentions is "NFS" support.

Does a firmware update wipe the drives?

JoshC

• Big Bull
Nope.  You will be fine updating the firmware.  Make sure you downloaded the firmware from a directly connected PC.:smileywink:

Emnniht

• Calf

I can confirm this method. We use a Terrastation Pro II for images and were confronted with the exact problem that is described here. An update to firmware version 1.33 (http://www.buffalo-technology.com/support/downloads/) solved our problem, full access via Vista machines is granted. The only tricky thing is to actually find the update. The configuration menu of the web access does not offer update functionality, therefore we didnt know if it was possible at all. Browsing the web, I came across the solution: The update is done remote with a simple execute file. After reboot of the terrastation all worked out fine. 

Greetings from Germany