Author Topic: My Buffalo Locks Up  (Read 4604 times)

AA26668

• Calf
My Buffalo Locks Up
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »

I have an external USB (500GB) Buffalo, model #HD-HS500U2-R.  My O/S is Windows XP Pro.  From time-to-time, the drive will lock up and cause my entire system to also lockup.  If  I turn the drive off, the system will return to normal operations.

The drive lock up problem seems to be associated with large files only and may have something to do with the NTFS file system.  As I understand it, the NTFS file system is essential if maximum storage capacity (500GB) is desired.

I'd like to know if this "lock up" problem sounds familiar to other Buffalo users.  Likewise, I'd like to know if the NTFS file system is known to be a contributor to Buffalo drive problems.  I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. 

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: My Buffalo Locks Up
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
have you tried to update the chipset drivers on your PC?

AA26668

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 03:02:02 PM »

I installed an update for my chipset (Intel 845).  But it had no effect on my drive problem.  This drive (which is still under warranty) is a refurbished unit which suggests a prior history of one or more problems which may have nothing to do with local settings or drivers.  The Model # is:  HD-HS500U2-R.

Do you know if Buffalo Customer Support is able to access records for all devices returned for repair, calibration, exchange, etc.?  If so, they may be able to provide some advice or guidance based on a search by serial number. This might preclude a need to return this unit for warranty service.  The S/N is:  95500979226602.  

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »
In the future please PM a moderator information such as this. Secondly, we do not have a repair record under serial numbers regarding refurbished units. If an RMA is necessary I would recommend contacting our phone support.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-05-2009 04:47 PM