Author Topic: Linkstation Pro Duo LS-W1.0TGL/R1-US can't be found  (Read 4736 times)

jstarii

• Calf
Linkstation Pro Duo LS-W1.0TGL/R1-US can't be found
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

This is the 2nd time for this problem.  I am running Windows XP-SP3 on a laptop with a wireless router.  When I put the drive onto my network on Sunday I was able to update the firmware to 1.09 and I installed the newest NASNAV 2.  This drive is in Raid 1 mode.  All went well. 

I then connected a usb drive and was able to see that.  Next, I created a script to run robocopy to copy the data, about 80Gb, from the usb drive to the Linkstation.

For the next 16 hours the files were being copied  and didn't even get 1/2 way.  So I killed the process to see the status.  Now I cannot access the drive.  The NASNAV 2 can't locate the drive.  My McAfee security center can see it and its IP address. 

However, if I do start -> run -> \\192.168.1.109 the drive can't be found. 

I went to another computer and still can't see the drive.  

As a note the read/write light on the front is still going crazy.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

thank,\s, 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro Duo LS-W1.0TGL/R1-US can't be found
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »
Have you tried resetting/rebooting the unit?  Any error lights?

jstarii

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »

I don't have any error lights.  The only light that is flickering is the read/write indicator and it seems to be going all of the time.

I had just gone through a reset/reboot before this problem.  However, I didn't not try to reset/reboot again after I lost communication.  I will try a this when I get home. 

Would this imply that this unit will tend to require this process more often in the future?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
They don't tend to NEED to be reset or rebooted often but it is always a good first troubleshooting step to try.  It can also clear up and configuration inconsistancies.

jstarii

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:06:13 PM »

I rebooted the drive and NASNav was able to find it but I am not able to login as administrator plus the shared directory acts like a private one in that I keep getting asked for username and password.  I wrote down the password for the administrator when I changed it yesterday but I keep getting the incorrect username or password message.  So I tried the original password and still no luck.

The drive I have is version 1 so I tried the reset password by holding the init button for 10 seconds.  The ! flashed for a while so it seemed like it was initializing but I still cannot log onto the drive. 

What is my next move?  I don't understand why the password doesn't work.

Thanks for the help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:35:59 PM »
Try booting the unit in EM mode.  Then force update the firmware with the option to "delete user config".  Did you check the option to not reset password after initialization?

jstarii

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:55:30 PM »

Hmmm...I didn't see you note before I did the force update.  I didn't delete the user configuration but I got access to the drive again.  during the force update I used the password "password" so the INIT seemed to initialize the password but the system wouldn't acknowledge it. 

This is odd.  Is there something that I am doing wrong to cause this problem?  This is the 2nd time that updating the firmware allowed me access to the drive.  The first time wasn't a forced update, I needed to actually update the firmware. 

Do you think that I will have to do this often?  This is the 2nd time in 3 days.

Thanks for the help.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:51 PM »

No, I talk to customers everyday (many that have this unit) that have never updated their firmware.  The only reason I instructed you to do this is because the password wasn't being recogized.

To answer your question, I am not sure if you are doing anything wrong.  It doesn't appear so but I only know what you're posting.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 07-15-2009 09:02 PM