Author Topic: EMADD? I've seen EM MODE but never this!  (Read 10143 times)

techinvest

• Calf
EMADD? I've seen EM MODE but never this!
« on: June 27, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »

This is about a HS-DHGL-R5:

Here's the deal. I've had an issue with one of the drives in my NAS going out. I replaced it, rebuilt the RAID array and I had my data back within the day. Now, within a week or two my PC wouldn't connect to it. I was thinking it was another HD, but I took them out one by one and started the NAS inbetween. Each time it recognized that hard drive X was missing, so it's not them. Now I've noticed that It doesn't say "EM MODE" it says " HS-DHTGL-EMADD" then it goes to "EMERGENCY MODE NO ARRAY INFO."

Any suggestions here? I'm lost!

BTW,

Tried updating firmware, it won't connect.

Tried the TFTP Boot recovery, and it didn't receive anything from the NAS.

Also

THE NasNavi utility can see it. It even shows it's in EMADD, but this in the only inkling of a connection I can muster. Still can't see any of the files though.

kevin

• El Toro
Re: EMADD? I've seen EM MODE but never this!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:24 AM »

Does the Navigator find it?

Probably going to have to do a force update of the Firmware, make sure you have to correct version for your model (2.14 is the latest for the info you provided). Force Update

Plug TS into your comp and Make sure firewalls are off (Windows and any antivirus firewall), set manual IP on your comp to match the Range of the TS. Maybe even boot into safemode with networking.

What operating system do you have?

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 12:39:11 PM »
   I'm running Vista on the laptop I'm trying to repair the NAS with. I will try forcing it. I have tried, but not changed the IP of the computer.

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 12:54:34 PM »
   Can anyone tell me what EMADD stands for?

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
   OK well forcing it allowed firmware to be uploaded and it tried to update but didn't complete. Upon reboot it said "System Error E04. Can't Load Krnl". What now?

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 02:24:55 PM »
If Nas Navi is showing an Ip Address now you should be able to log into the user interface.  Put the IP add.  in the address bar of a web browser.  If it logs in go to  maintenance>initialization>restore.  And it should clear that error message out.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:44:24 PM »

I would reboot it again and see if you still get the E04 error.  If you do you can try the TFTP procedure.  If that doesn't work you need to find the bad HDD by shutting down the unit, removing disk one and then power it on.  If it doesn't boot replace disk one and remove disk two ect. ect.  As soon as it boots without one of the drives, you have found the drive that you need to replace.

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-29-2009 02:44 PM

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:50:21 PM »

You said that it didnt complete.  What was the error message?

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 10:09:50 AM »

@ Josh. It was always showing an IP. I couldn't however login.

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:16:14 AM »
   @ Josh again. The error was that it never rebooted. The error code on the screen was E04 Can't Load Kernel.

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
   @ PCPiranha. I've done that before as explained in the first post. I'll try it again. No harm in giving it another shot.

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
   OK, it;s been solved. Simply put, I finally got the firmware updated. Once it was updated to 2.14 I removed the HD's one by one again as suggested by PCPiranha. NOW it boots fine with HD2 missing, the HD I replaced. I'm guessing they sold me a faulty HD because it lasted all of 2 weeks. Anyway, I've restructured the RAID array and it is being rebuilt as I type this. Thanks to Josh and PCPiranha!

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »
   OK so it hasn't been solved. After rebuilding the RAID array it says "E14 Can't Load Raid Array." Ugh, what now?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »
It appears that the problem that caused the EM mode and E04 errors (most likely power irregularities) caused some corruption on the RAID as well. If you have the data backed up, a force update with the "Rebuild Partition Table" option will most likely get the device up and running again. This will remove all data, though.

As far as the data on the RAID is concerned, E14 means that there is some problem with either the RAID or the filesystem, making it unable to mount. If the data is important, I recommend contacting a data recovery center. We suggest Drivesavers (http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/) for the RAID-capable devices.

techinvest

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
   Oof. No I don't have the data backed up elsewhere. The NAS in a RAID 5 setup WAS my backup. Is there any way to recover it myself. I ask because my NAS is in Panama with me now.