Author Topic: Emergency mode after disk format  (Read 4951 times)

Ivor

• Calf
Emergency mode after disk format
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:18:25 AM »

I removed from TeraStation (HS-DHTGL/R5) all four disk, and format them in PC (no partition created after format). With TFTP Boot i put new firmware on device. With NAS navigator I can't find device. I tried to put firmware with "Buffalo HS-DHTGL Updater Ver 2.14" but after searching nothing is hapened.

How to put firware on Buffalo? Should I need to format disks to some linux partition?

dgkelp

• Tatanka
Re: Emergency mode after disk format
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
   After a format from a pc you might have to run the TFTP boot a few times before it will fully take.  The partition needs to be recreated.  Give that a try.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:36:18 AM »
What was the reason for not formatting the drives with the TS? Was there an issue before this?

Ivor

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:02:10 AM »

For security reasons, is formatted with a special program to prevent returning data.

I flash recovery firmware and this works. Now I need to flash with normal firmware (~125MB), and this does not work.  Software (TSUpdater) for firmware upgrade can't find device.

I assume that the firmware is located on the disk and not on the internal memory. What is the procedure when you put the new drives on Buffalo? Is it necessary to format the disks for a file system (ext3, ext2...)?

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:11:35 AM »

The Firmware cant find it because its not booting. The only way to get it to boot is with a TFTP Boot utility.

Half the FW is on the Chip and the rest is on the drives.  You can format it using the debug options in the Updater when you update FW after getting the unit to boot.

Ivor

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »

The device works perfectly, the problem was the network card on the laptop. After connecting the device to the desktop computer the firmware upgrade is flash without any problems. Ok it was on japanese after flashing, but I switched to english :smileyhappy:

Thx for help

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »
Im glad you figured it out!