Author Topic: Linkstation Live with Bittorrent no longer accessible and orange LED is repeatedly flashing twice  (Read 4897 times)

MJW107

• Calf

The orange LED at the top of my linkstation has started to repeatedly flash twice. After noticing this, I tried to admin the linkstation by going to its IP address on a web browser, but it's giving the error 'You don't have permission to access / on this server.'. I was able to access the bittorrent client and the drives on the linkstation for a few minutes after this, and then I lost connectivity to them too.

I ran NASNavigator, and the name of the linkstation has changed to some weird characters, and it's saying it's in EM mode. I read the FAQ about EM mode on this forum, but that seems to be more concerned with forcing it to enter EM mode for backups and firmwire updates, which isn't something I've done.

I don't appear to be able to turn off the linkstation using the power button at the back, so what should I do to resolve this issue? Can I disconnect the power supply and try to restart it or will that damage the device? I have data that I really don't want to lose on it, so it's important to me to at least gain access to that to copy it off before, for example, attempting a format.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

michiganian

• Calf

About error message, there two kinds of flash. One is long (1 second), and another is short (0.5 second). How does the LED flash?

If your LinkStation is in EM mode, regular step is to apply latest firmware. If it successes, you can gain access to data without losing any. If you fail, you need to call Buffalo support center for a service. However, Buffalo doesn't guarantee your data.

MJW107

• Calf

As far as I can remember, it was one long flash followed by a short flash.

However, I got a bit impatient and decided to unplug the linkstation to attempt to restart it again. The red LED is now flashing repeatedly 6 times, which according to the manual means that the drive isn't recognised.

Should I now attempt to put it into EM mode using the method listed on the forums and then flash it with the latest firmwire (1.07)?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Unfortunatley there isn't much you can do with this unit if the HDD isn't recognized.  Try rebooting it, reinitializing it and you can see if it will do a FW update but I doubt it would work.

MJW107

• Calf

OK, thanks for your response.

I guess one reason it might not be able to recognise the drive is if the cable connecting the disk to the linkstation had somehow come loose. Do you know if opening the device to check this would void my warranty? 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Yes, disassembling this LS does void your warranty.

JoshC

• Big Bull