Author Topic: System Booting... Never Completes  (Read 5020 times)

nworker

• Calf
System Booting... Never Completes
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »

HS-DHTGL

I have two of these units. Both are in RAID5 configuration and use DHCP.

I powered them off recently and one of them gets hung with the LCD saying

System Booting...

All of the lights on the front of the array are green

After waiting for an hour or two for the boot to complete. I powered off the unit by holding down the power button on the front of the unit for an extended period.

After it sat overnight, I powered it on again. The kernel loads and it appears to hang on System Booting...

I read through some of the items in the forum and it appears the best place to start is to boot the array in EM mode. Once it is up, I can adjust the IP address to get the array on the subnet and pull all of the files off the flaky array on to the other array.

Is this a reasonable assumption?

What is the best way to proceed so as to not lose the data on the flakey array.

Thanks!

joe42

• Calf
Re: System Booting... Never Completes
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »

If you're having trouble booting the unit normally, then yes, by all means, boot it into EM mode following the procedure listed on the FAQ.

If you can still access it, try releoding the firmware using the force procedure also listed in the FAQ. If you're still not seeing it on your network, try attaching it directly to a windows based computer to see if the NAS Navigator picks it up, then setting up a static IP to match the subnet, you will likely have to reload the firmware to fill in the missing boot image for this to work.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
It almost sounds like it might not be loading the kernal.  You can always try the TFTP procedure but I would try what Joe said first.

nworker

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

Joe,

Thanks for the pointers.

What is the default IP address if I have to setup a static IP address for my laptop?

As my system is setup for DHCP, I would think it will not get served an IP address until it boots completely.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

You wouldn't need to set it on a static IP unless you cannot find the unit on your network.  If that is the case the default IP subnet of the unit is 192.168.11.X.  You will only need to set the static IP if you need to connect directly to the unit via ethernet cable.

Is it booting into EM mode ok?  If it is I would just leave it on the switch/router that you have it attached to and make sure that all the firewalls on this computer are disabled (to be sure you can always boot your computer into safe mode with networking).

nworker

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:18:23 PM »

The system started the EM boot. It appears to have checked each disk (the green access lights went on). Now it is blinking the light under the power switch and then all four of the disk lights.

The LCD display reads:

System EM mode

Booting.....

I read somewhere this might go on for a long time as the array controller of the HS-DHTGL checks the disks.

Should I just wait for a long time. I would much rather save the data and go slow than lose the data :-)

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
If it is doing a disk check then yes you should leave it.  Unfortunately it does take several days at times.

nworker

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »

Is there any way to know if it is doing a disk check?

What are the risks associated with doing an TFTP boot and updating the firmware, which looks to be 2.14 for this unit.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »

What is the error message that you're getting (long or short blinks)?  I believe that a constant flashing is a disk check.  You can also try to find the unit with the NASNAVI it would say "a format or disk check is being carried out".

The risks associated with the TFTP is minimal.  The firmare update runs a slight risk because if it is interupted then you will have corrupted firmware.  This is usually fixed with a force update.

Rarely if ever do you get data loss via TFTP or a FW update.  I have yet to see it unless someone checks "rebuild partition table" during a force update.

nworker

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »

I booted the system off tftp.

I never saw the data blocks being served to the array and the array showed the disk capacity along with the IP address. I assumed the boot was successful.

I started the firware update. It took a long time and there were serveral reboots in the process. It was a nail biter. Total elapsed time in at least 15 minutes.

It all worked fine after the update to the firmware. I loaded 2.15 and the old version was 1.05. I am now in the process of backing up the most critical files before I do anything else.

Thank you for your help getting my HA-DHTGL up and running.