Author Topic: How to properly mount/unmount usb (xfs)  (Read 6500 times)

DB258884

• Calf
How to properly mount/unmount usb (xfs)
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »

Hello everyone,

Simple issue.  I can mount (via formatting to xfs) my external usb drive.  If I have to restart the linkstation pro (only had to once)--it doesn't recognize or mount upon revival.

I am sure I am not following procedure and I have looked in the documentation.  So, what do I have to do to properly unmount the external (xfs is cool as I am ubuntu) usb drive....and then REMOUNT successfully upon restart.  I use it to back up my mirrored drives and it would become tiresome to format and backup all over again each time the unit has restarted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: How to properly mount/unmount usb (xfs)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
You don't need to do anything special to mount it.  Just plug it in!  To unmount it just go into the web interface click on disk managment > USB settings and the should be an option "delete usb disk assignment".  Also I believe you can just tap the function button to unmount it.  To be safe just do it through the web interface (less chance for error)

DB258884

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:46:03 PM »

"To unmount it just go into the web interface click on disk managment > USB settings and the should be an option "delete usb disk assignment". 

PCPiranha--I whole-heartedly agree there should be an option via the browser to "delete" or "unmount" (friendly) an external drive--but there isn't.  Cancel button takes user back to top of drive maintenance. 

I have a linkstation duo pro, 3.09 firmware, mirrored.

It will backup just fine....but on any reboot (tested again) the drive comes back as unrecognized--it will see the manufacturer (Seagate) but not the data or size or even the file type.  I have tried FAT 32 and XFS and neither escaped the problem.

The only way to have it "mount" back successfully (meaning actually see/utilize data, disk size, file type, etc) is to reformat and re-run my backups.......

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
I'm sorry, I was thinking of the Linkstation Pro. When you connect a USB storage device to the Linkstation Pro Duo, the power light will become blue for about 60 seconds. Push the Function button during this time to initiate the Direct Copy feature.

After the light goes back to green, you can hold the Function button for more than three seconds to unmount the drive. Wait until the power light goes back to green before removing the disk. This may take 20 seconds to a minute

DB258884

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »

I feel like I am adding more confusion.  I don't want "direct copy" each time.  I simply just want to friendly unmount the USB/restart the LKSTion/then remount and access for backup the USB.

If the device is incapable of doing this---that is fine--I just don't want to be spinning my wheels.

Thank you for your help though, it is appreciated. 

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »

"you can hold the Function button for more than threeseconds to unmount the drive. Wait until the power light goes back togreen before removing the disk. This may take 20 seconds to a minute"

Sorry if the direct copy information confused you.

DB258884

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 10:18:43 AM »

Sorry for the delay---but it worked.

I can successfully unmount and mount the external via the function (blue to green) then simply plug back in the usb.

Thank you for your time---greatly appreciated.