Author Topic: itunes setup in OSX?  (Read 4193 times)

jrab

• Calf
itunes setup in OSX?
« on: June 01, 2009, 05:26:43 AM »

Hi there -

I am going nuts trying to figure out what's going on. I have had zero luck getting itunes to work with my LS-XH1.0TL. Using OSX 10.5.7 and itunes 8.1.1. My linkstation firmware is 1.03.

I've set up the MediaServer to point to a share I called Media. I've rsynced the Music/iTunes from my mac to /Volumes/Media/ - no problem. 

I had the linkstation show up once in itunes (I don't know why it suddenly appeared), but it did not display any music. After restarting the media server again, it's not working anymore. The drive is fine. I use it as a timecapsule and don't have any problems mounting it, seeing any of the shares or with backup. The only problem is just as a media server.

Yes, In the media server settings, it is enabled, and I am pointing to Media as the server folder. I've also tried shuffling files and pointing to other folders that have the music organized in various ways.

so there are 2 problems: 

1) can't even connect anymore, itunes is not recognizing the share

2) when it did recognize the share, nothing was in it (despite some 60 odd gigs of files)

Ok - just tried something. I made a small folder called Music and pointed to Media/Music as the Media drive. Nothing. Physically restarted the NAS, the files and share showed up! Yay!

So I just renamed the "iTunes Music" folder to just "Music", replacing the test dir, restarted the NAS, and - not showing up in the iTunes shared list again.

Any ideas out there?

Does "Authorized DLNA Media Clients" have anything to do with it? If I click on the link, there aren't any, and there doens't seem to be a way to add them. In the help link, there is an item "Permit Access to DLNA Clients" but there isn't a box or any way that I can see what it's referring to. Is this an OSX bug?

thanks

jrab

jrab

• Calf
Re: itunes setup in OSX?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
   Ok, after more poking around - it appears that when I stuff ALL my music into the Music folder, there is no share. I'm slowly adding to it to see where it breaks. Is there a maximum share/number of files size? This seems really odd.

jrab

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »

All in all though, it turns out I just needed something that would have logged problems. It turns out that 1 file out of over 16000 was bad. Consequently, the server couldn't start up. A logger would have indicated where things broke so I could have spent a more enjoyable day. Instead I had to move a bunch of files to the store, restart the server, move more, restart, remove half when it broke, restart, find the bad file by doing that a bunch more times and then cautiously moving the rest. It took hours. But now it's up!

I didn't know about this until I just read another post:

Twonky configuration screen : http://IP ADDRESS:9050/config 

It might have helped, haven't looked at it too much yet, but it's another interface.

Bultar

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

it looks like "jrab" is happy with a solution... but I'm still having what I think is basically the same problem - can't see music on my NAS.  I don't think I'm having trouble with any "bad" files, as I'm only trying with a few files at a time just to get it working (before adding thousands of files). 

My LinkStation shows up under "shared" in iTunes, but is always empty, and I've tried many different ways of setting up libraries, folders, etc.

Obviously I'm missing something, but I've spent hours looking for help online, and have seen a number of posts with the same problem, but haven't seen any answers yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

jrab

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »

Did you try the twonky server? On my system, i access it with

http://192.168.0.15:9050/config

I knew I had a bad file when the server wouldn't show up, so since yours is showing up, it's probably a different problem than the bad file. But since it's not seeing any files, I wonder if it's not able to sort out the organization of your music for some reason?

Ultimately, I named my share itunes and inside that share I basically was able to copy my iTunes folder in it's entirety (after removing the bad file). 

I just discovered that the twonky server does have a log file - go to support -> maintenance in the left frame and turn it on, then restart and see if it returns anything useful.