Author Topic: DriveStation HD-CELU2 network setup  (Read 8585 times)

jrausch

• Calf
DriveStation HD-CELU2 network setup
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »
   Just spent 45 min on phone with tech support before getting disconnected....  I completed the setup process, everything worked liked it was supposed to, I can see it on my network map, but am unable to see it to access it or move files to it.  Tried mapping a network drive, but it keeps prompting for a username and password.  I enter the password I created and it says it is invalid.  Cannot access it from my other computers either.  The primary machine has Vista Ultimate and the other I was working on has XP home edition.  It works when connected via USB, but not when I switch it to LAN.  It was first connected to a Netgear network switch, but I switched it to connect directly to my Linksys router, still nothing.  Pinged it from both machines successfully.  Getting very frustrated!!!  Any suggestions?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: DriveStation HD-CELU2 network setup
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Does the network mapping include the IP address or the Hostname?

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
   Yes, I can see the IP address on the network map screen, also I can see both when logging into the admin page when typing the IP address into the address bar on my browser.  It definitely appears to be on and recognized by my network, I just cannot seem to access it.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

Is the shared folder you're trying to access restricted? If so you won't be able to use admin/password to access it (the login is reserved for configuration).

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
   Got it, I was typing in the wrong folder in the map network drive screen, I had my aha moment when you said is the folder restricted...  It doesnt explain why the icon on the desktop didnt work, but it is now working.  I was able to successfully map to the drive from all my computers and it does prompt for a username/password, which I wanted, and it worked, thanks!!!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:14:06 PM »
My pleasure and to further explain the icon on the desktop is mapped by Hostname not by IP address which has caused some issues in Windows before. Don't ask me why they don't change it though ;)

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 05:24:53 PM »
   Hmmm... the problem that just wont die...   had to restart my computer (the vista one), now it won't connect.  Deleted the connection, restarted the drive, still doesnt work.  Now when I try to connect like before, it says that it cant connect.  I restarted my XP machine, it connects to the drive just fine....  any further thoughts?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 05:42:42 PM »

The only thing I have is the Name Resolution in Vista isn't working out. Try this:

1. Click Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center
  2. In the left side of Network and Sharing Center click on "Manage network connections"
  3. Right-click on Local Area Connection and choose Properties
  4. Under "This connection uses the following items:" click on the text of Client for Microsoft Networks and click the Properties button
  5. The Name Service Provider should be blank at this time. Choose Windows Locator and apply all of the changes.
Let us know if this works.

jrausch

• Calf
   Had a problem earlier today, could not access it through my network.  I was entering the wrong phrase into the map network path screen.  Once I discovered this it worked fine, until I had to restart my computer.  Upon restarting it failed to reconnect upon rebooting, I deleted the path and tried to re-enter it and now it says that it cannot access it.  Stupid vista!!!!  I can access the drive fine from my XP machine, the original network mapping works fine...  Any thoughts?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Refer to my solution here jrausch and if you're having the same problem please don't create a new thread for it.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 03-30-2009 05:47 PM

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:56:20 PM »
   Sorry, I thought since I had marked this as solved I had to start a new thread.  That did not work.  Same error.  Also, I am connection wirelessly, but I followed the same instructions, but clicked on the wireless connection instead of the wired one.
Message Edited by jrausch on 03-30-2009 06:03 PM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »
Hmmmm, indeed it's strange did you try manually navigating by going to Start->Run (hold down Windows Key+R) and type in \\[IP_address_of_NAS]?

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 06:19:26 PM »
   It says: "IP_address_of_NAS" is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and printer sharing (SMB)" with this computer.  I am at a loss here, given the fact it was working fine before I restarted my computer, and I am still able to access it from my XP computer.  I had to reboot because I was downloading a media player from download.com, which Norton said it had a virus attached it, it stopped it before it installed on my computer.  There was one file on my computer that I could not get to delete, so I downloaded and used a program called Killbox to remove, which prompted me to reboot.  Doubt this has anything to do with it, but I thought I would mention it.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
It is possible that file/print sharing is disabled. You can find it in the same area as the Client for Microsoft Networks that I mentioned previously.

jrausch

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »
   I checked, it was checked under that screen.  Also, the screen you told me to change to windows locator was still blank, implying that it did not accept the settings?