Author Topic: Backup error between Linkstation Live units  (Read 4270 times)

quantumsequoia

• Calf
Backup error between Linkstation Live units
« on: June 11, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

I have two Linkstation Live units, both 500 GB. Unit 1 is set to backup to Unit 2 every night. Recently, the backups have not been completing. The only error message I see after logging into Unit 1 is "An error has occurred". This is listed for each of the five backup jobs. As far as I can tell, both units are working normally. Any ideas about what could be happening and how I can resolve the problem?

Both units are connected to the same network switch and are plugged into the same UPS. All of the various computers can see the Buffalo units.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: Backup error between Linkstation Live units
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »
   Make sure both devices have the same firmware, besides that they should be able to communicate fine with each other.  Check that and get back to us.

quantumsequoia

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 08:25:25 PM »
   Both units are at Firmware version 2.10.

quantumsequoia

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »
   And the units can see each other. The backup jobs on Unit 1 are set to backup to Unit 2. They just don't seem to be doing it any longer.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:29:56 AM »
Seeing as how the units were backing up to each other previously I would say to perform a setting initialization on both of the units and set them back up to the network again. Make sure you take down which IP addresses each unit is at then log into the Web Admin and go to Maintenance->Initialization->Restore. Follow the on screen prompts then set each unit back up to the network. Let us know if this helps.

quantumsequoia

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
   Sorry for the delay. I reinitialized both LinkStations and re-established the backup jobs. They appear to have completed successfully (for the first time in months, it seems). Thank you for your suggestions. I've learned something from this.