Author Topic: LS-1000GL Won't boot, need help  (Read 5590 times)

bcre3306

• Calf
LS-1000GL Won't boot, need help
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:49 PM »

I have a LS-1000GL for about 6-8 months now and it was working perfectly until last week.  All it does now when I power it on is the green power button turns on and about 5 seconds later all the lights shut off and the unit just keeps beeping, no error light codes.  I can get it to boot in EM mode but the LSUpdater won't find the unit no matter what I do.  I tried the tftp utility and this also will not find the unit but the odd part is the NasNavi will find the unit on the old ip address it used to have(192.168.1.200).  When I try to change the IP in NasNavi it will error out.  I can ping the unit at 192.168.1.200 but I think the tftp util is only trying to find it on the 192.168.11.150 ip which is never pingable in the boot process via EM.  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this thing back to life?

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: LS-1000GL Won't boot, need help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »

the TFTP software isn't used for "finding the NAS" it is used to turn on a unit that won't boot.  If it's in EM mode the TFTP isn't going to help because the unit has booted.

Try the firmware again but make sure you have all firewalls disabled (to be safe just enter safe mode with networking).  Also make sure that your computer is hardwire into the switch/router and not connected wirelessly.

bcre3306

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:16:49 PM »

Ok I finally got the flasher to find the unit but it failed at the end saying it was booting the unit in EM.  Now I can't see the unit again but I can still ping it at the same IP as I stated above.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »

Try rebooting the unit first.  It may have taken the firmware update (we can hope can't we?)  If it still didn't take you can try flashing it again but there may be a deeper issue here if you can't update the firmware.

It will boot into EM mode if it has lost it's firmware due to corruption, or if there is a greater issue.  Let's hope for the former

Message Edited by PCPiranha on 06-10-2009 06:30 PM

bcre3306

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »

If I try and boot the device it just beeps and beeps until I hit the power button.  It still boots in EM but I can't seem to get the firmware updater to find it.  I can still see the unit via NasNavi but I can't see the shares or change the IP addresses.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
You might be able to stop that beeping by tapping the function button.  Is it giving you any error messages?  If not it could be an MPU error.

bcre3306

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »

The unit doesnt give any error codes.  I power it on the green power light comes on, then the network light comes on and then about 5 seconds later all the lights go off and the unit just keeps beeping, it doenst give any pattern in the beep either, just a consistent beep beep beep...

Tanks
Brian

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Yeah, it sounds like an MPU error if it is still within warranty you can call support for an RMA

bcre3306

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
   so after much desperation and reading the forums I tried disconnecting the hard drive to see if it would at least power up and not beep all the time. Well I booted it in EM and the TFPT server pulled in the files and then the updater found the unit, so I plugged the drive back in and tried again but it was back to bad news again. So I plugged a spare drive into the unit and let it write a firmware and its all back up and running!! I just finished restoring everything and am very happy. Thank you very much for all your support!

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »

Hunh, sorry about that, apparently it wasn't booting all the way or the TFTP wouldn't have received any requests.  It almost sounds like you were getting the E04 error (at least thats how it was acting) but it wasn't showing it with the diag lights.  I'm glad you got it working!

Even so I would make sure that any data you put on this unit is backed up elsewhere.