Author Topic: Help required - lost access!  (Read 3234 times)

chillsdon

• Calf
Help required - lost access!
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:26:40 AM »

Hi

We have a Terrastation II rackmount:

Model: TS-RIGL/R5

Firmware: 1.01

Which we have been using for sme months now.  Being a SAN, it was accessed through a server whichs connectd to the device using iSCSI.  The original problem was that each time the server was rebooted, all the shares and file permissions were lost.  In case it makes any difference, this SAN was also connected to a second server.  Each server had the Microsoft iSCSI Initiator installed as well as the iSCSI Hard Disk Connection Tool.

We found a couple or articles (one being a Microsoft one) that suggested making the server's "Server" service dependant on the iSCSI service so that the SAN would be ready by the time the "Server" service came up meaning all shares would be restored.

This than appears to have killed our TS2 - I can register it on the main server and then connect but when I try to access the drive I just get "F:\ is not accessable.  The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" !!!

Same thing on the secondary server, and I even created a virtual server but I although I can register it on the VM I can not connect (don't have the button) because it says "Current status: Connected to another PC" and gives the IP address of the main server - it says this even when the drive has been unregistered from both primary and secondary servers!

I don't know much about this kit - I don't know what EM mode is or how you put it in to that mode, and I can't see where to update the firmware.  I can log in to the browser interface and it says it is quite happy - no problems, no errors.

If anyone can point me in the direction of fixing this and hopefully keeping all the data on it intact I would be very happy indeed.

Craig.

chillsdon

• Calf
Re: Help required - lost access!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:00:44 AM »

OK,  I have gone through the FAQs including EM and TFTP - the problem seems to be that the TS doesn't actually report a problem.  I have reset it to factory settings (as this does  not lose any data) and reconfigured it.  Connected it back up to a server but still the same issue - try to access the drive and get "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

We've had this TS for a few months now and I can't say I'm impressed as it has always seemed a little unstable.  Assuming that the Buffalo tech guys probably monitor this forum I am quite dissapointed in the lack of any help or feedback.

Is anyone able to offer any possible solution?  I would ideally like to mount the drive and access the information on it or perhaps someone can confirm that based on the error message that this is never going to happen in which case should I wipe the drive and start again? 

chillsdon

• Calf
Re: Help required - lost access!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:57:55 AM »
   Ok, managed to get the drive back with a manual CHKDSK with /X to unmount the drive.  I hope this information helps anyone else that is in my position and is asking for help.