Author Topic: asking for user ID/password on DriveStation FlexNet 640 GB NAS Server  (Read 3306 times)

dabauer

• Calf
   I have been using my DriveStation FlexNet 640 GB NAS Server without problem. Suddenly, 3 months after I attached it to a new computer (running Vista) I am being asked for a User ID and password when I try to access the device. I never had to do this before, never recall setting up a user ID and password, and have no idea what to enter. I tried the usual things like "admin" and "guest." I want to emphasize that the problem didn't start when I attached it to the Vista machine. I have it attached via Ethernet to my router. The USB connection doesn't seem to work at all -- it isn't sensed by that maching or either of 2 others (including an XP machine) that I have tried. All suggestions welcomed!

JoshC

• Big Bull

Just a few quick questions.

1. What file format is the unit in?

2. When you removed the device from any computer did you remove the hardware safely?

3. What happens when you put the Device into NAS mode can you map shares and access the User Interface?

dabauer

• Calf
   TYhe file format was NTFS, and yes, I always powered down properly (however, we have frequent power failures). Last night I took the device to a repair facility. We verified that the hard drive itself is bad, and that is the reason for my problems. We removed the Western Digital HD from the device and directly connected it to another machine. The drive is dead. I'm trying to decide whether I will spend the money and send the drive to a data recovery company. Thanks for your help, but it looks like I'll have to replace the unit.