Author Topic: How are the Rackmount Terastations?  (Read 4580 times)

kochrk

• Calf
How are the Rackmount Terastations?
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »

Can anyone tell me about the rackmount Terastations?  I have the normal desktop versions and they are great.  Besides rackmount, is there any differences that justify the price difference?  Also, are they loud, like blower motors in them or are they pretty quiet?

I'm asking because I am putting a rack in my walk-in closet and have a few items to install and for space reasons I might sell off my desktop TS's and buy a couple rackmounts.  Or, I could buy a rackmount shelf and put the Desktop TS's on there.  Just at the thinking stage right now.

Thanks for any input.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: How are the Rackmount Terastations?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
Which TeraStation sizes were you comparing and were they from the same retailer/e-tailer? Could you list some of the prices you're finding?

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »

I was just asking about the rackmount models in general, how do they compare to the desktops.  Size and price wasn't an issue.  Do they have more features, are they noisey?  Just asking for input from anyone that owns them.  I would like to sell my desktops and buy some rackmounts but the price is much more so I have to try and justify.  Otherwise I will get a rackmount shelf and just put my desktop versions on it.  i.e. move my desktops to a shelf installed on the rack in my closet.

I guess I should put a link for the rack so people know what I am talking about.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37077829@N00/70071253  This is not my setup, I just searched to get a pic of something similiar

Message Edited by kochrk on 04-24-2009 09:58 PM

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
The Rackmount Terastations are identical in features, firmware, and hardware to the regular Terastations.

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:49:08 PM »
   Thanks for the answer.  Have you ever heard one?  Some rackmount units are loud and that is a concern.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
They're pretty quiet actually. All of the other NAS devices we have were louder than the rackmount. Had to put my ear up to it to make sure :)

kochrk

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
   I did get two rackmount TS-Pro's recently.  You are correct Dustrega in what you say about the noise.  In fact, they might be a tad quieter than the desktop models.  Either way they are quiet.  Thanks for the info and I am gravitating toward the rackmounts because of space and that will depend on how fast I can sell the desktop TS-Pros and Lives.