Author Topic: Problems with linkstation Live LS-CHL 1TB. Unable to access.  (Read 14853 times)

smcaudata

• Calf
Problems with linkstation Live LS-CHL 1TB. Unable to access.
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:19:13 AM »

I created some folders on my linkstation live that I was not able to remove and I was not able to put more than 2GB of files into. These folders were basically useless to me in this manner. I tried rebooting the device and this did nothing to help the problem. The options of formatting or initializing the drive were not available, just and empty dropdown box.  I clicked on erase disk and the warning said that it may take a few hours to complete. 12 hours later it was still going with pass 1/4. I went to sleep. I wake up in the morning and it is on 2/4 saying that it will take another 1200 minutes.  In about an hour I lose connection with the device and I get Apache web errors.  The blue light is blinking irregularly blue and white as is the function light.  Well, this went on for another 12 hours with no response. I turned the device off and then back on and the main light blinked red a number of times and then started to blink blue and white again.  Now when I type in the IP address I get the device and it says 

Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out.
During this time the LinkStation settings can not be changed.

Also the file share service will not be available.

Is the LS-CHL 1.0TB supposed to take 3 days to do a format or disk check?  What should I be doing to make the device functional again?  I just got the thing and had about 3 hours of actual use.  The first user I created I wasn't able to set a user group or password as the changes wouldn't take hold.  I'm pretty unimpressed with this device thus far. Either I got a major lemon or there are some huge problems with the 1.06 firmware that came on the device.

Prior to this mess I was successfully able to see the folders on the device from Vista, Windows7 beta, OS 10.5.6. Also the DLNA was working through the xbox and ps3.  I have a feeling that there may be some major issues with the internal disk itself.

Message Edited by smcaudata on 02-04-2009 03:22 AM

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: Problems with linkstation Live LS-CHL 1TB. Unable to access.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »

The "Disk Erase" option in the Disk Management section will write zeros to the entire disk four times over. This can take a number of days. In the future, if you need to format the drive, do it from the "Disk Format" option in Disk Management. This will be MUCH quicker.

I'm not sure why you were unable to use Disk Format... Once the disk erase has completed, try resetting the device to defaults from Maintenence->Initialization.

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:43 AM »
   I worked with tech support on this issue over the phone. They did not have an explanation for why I could not format the drive. They also were not sure why it had problems creating share folders that would take more than 2gb of data either. To attempt a fix they recommended to force a firmware update. This also did not work as it timed out on the attempt with multiple tries.  I let the drive attempt it's disk check overnight and nothing happened. It continued to blink the blue light irregularly while showing an Apache error when trying to use the web management and not showing up in NAS utility.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
I recently experienced that last issue you mentioned with our in-house Linkstation LS-CHL. After a Disk Erase, I saw internal server errors from the web interface. I was able to fix it by forcing the firmware update with all four config options checked, as this will completely reset the device to it's factory default settings, including a drive format. CAUTION: checking the "Rebuild partition table" option will erase all data. It took a couple times to get it to work, but I haven't seen problems with it since.
Message Edited by Colin137 on 02-10-2009 05:05 PM

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:07:56 AM »
   Well. I did try to force the update a couple of times with the last time having all the boxes checked but I only did it once. I am waiting to hear back from the retail customer support so I may try a few more times.  The drive was fresh out of the box and unable to make folders so it didn't have any data that isn't still no my computer.

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 12:16:34 PM »

Well, I never was able to get this problem fixed through forced updates. I got a new drive from the vendor through RMA since it was so new.  I have the same problem with this drive that I started with.

When I click on the Shared Folders option in the web interface and then I click the 'Add' button I do not have the option to select the volume as I should according to the user manual.

To test this out I plugged in an old 25gb external drive and formatted it through the web interface with XFS.  I still do not have the option to select the volume in this circumstance.

The reason this is a problem is that when you cannot select the volume, you cannot delete the folder later AND the folder can only hold 2GB.

Also of note: When I click on Disk Management in the web interface I cannot perform a Disk Check or a Disk Format on the linstation drive.  I can only do these features on the external drive I plugged in.

This is the second drive I have received with this problem. At this point in time I am about ready to return the drive and eat the restocking fee (although the retailer may not charge it if the drive is not functioning as it should) as there seems to be some quality control issues.

Note: Both drives shipped with Firmware 1.06. I am leary about attempting a firmware update or anything on this new drive as it is currently "usable". I would like to be able to create shares so I can set permissions and such. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 04:12:25 PM »
You cannot create shared folders within the USB drive, the USB drive will show as a single shared folder.

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
   I can't create shared folders on the regular drive either. When I do they only hold 2gb and they cannot be removed. Is there a way to fix this issue?

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
I've never seen that issue before, so I think it may be related to how you're connecting to the drive. What operating system are you using, and how are you connecting the the shared folders?

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »

The drive is connected to my wireless router. I have Windows Vista and OS 10.5. I did read that if you set the shares up for AppleTalk they will be limited in file size so I did not check that box when I tried to create a share.  I then connect to the shared folders through the mapped drives in windows explorer.  I tried to copy over about 5GB worth of smaller files and it said there was not enough free space.  This error occured when access the drive both from the Mac (in Finder) and the Windows PC.

When I create a share should I have an option where the "Volume" drop-down menu is?  This is just an empty option.  I've been able to make all the sub-folders inside of the /share/ directory that I want and there are no limits.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:28 PM »

That's REALLY strange... the option in the Volume drop down should read "Disk1". I verified that with our unit. Are you using English for the display language?

Again, I recommend forcing the firmware update with all four config options checked, in order to reformat the entire disk and start over. This makes no sense... :/

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:48:09 PM »

I'm copying some of the stuff on the drive before I force the update. I found the instructions on the Buffalo site.

Checking all 4 config options will cause a drive format. Will this take many hours to complete (like a day)? I just want to know what to expect when updating.

Message Edited by smcaudata on 02-21-2009 01:09 AM

smcaudata

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »

I was able to force the firmware update. The first attempt failed and the device restarted in EM mode. The second worked. The device restarted in Japanese as the default language. I was able to find the language option and change it, but I think that english would be a more universal default language.

Anyway, after the forced update I have the option to select a volume when creating a share. It seems I may have fixed the problem.  Thank you for your help.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
Glad to hear it.

jazzbo9

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:03:55 AM »
   I had the exact same problem; created shares that turned out to be only 2GB and could not be deleted.  Buffalo told me to reformat the drive.  I tried the hard reset and now it is dead.  I'm getting three blue lights which means a disk error.  Not sure what to do now.