Author Topic: HD-CE500U2 not recognized  (Read 4995 times)

dj_fpb

• Calf
HD-CE500U2 not recognized
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:41:44 AM »

Hey there.  It seems like my HD-CE500U2 is experiencing the error with regards to certain hibernation or standby modes in which the files become inaccessible. My instance however, seems to be a bit different. I have read many of the forums and tech support on this, however have not found anyone that's had the same problem as I have.

When plugging in my hard drive to my computer, I get the new device noise saying that it has been plugged in, and a "Safely Remove Hardware" in my system tray, however, on my list of drives under "My Computer" it doesn't list the F: Drive which my HD-CE500U2 used to be, or any extra drive for that matter. When I attempt to "Safely remove hardware", it comes up with an error stating: The device 'USB Mass Storage Device (TurboUSB)' cannot be stopped because of an unknown error. Since this device is still being used, do not remove it. and then disappears from the Hardware devices list. Also, when I first powered up the drive (before plugging it into my laptop), the green indicator light on the front came on, but it did not shut back off as it normally does if not plugged into a PC.

As it stands now, I am unable to re-format or install the new firmware that Buffalo has released for my drive. I am wondering if there is anything I am able to do on my end to resolve the issue, or am I going to have to contact Buffalo customer service?

Thanks heaps in advance for your time and response.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: HD-CE500U2 not recognized
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:27:35 PM »
Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done with problems that occur in USB detection on an OS.  It is possible that the usbstor.inf file (which is the universal driver that XP utilizes for USB Mass Storage devices as a whole) could have become corrupt and is therefore working improperly.  Have you checked Disk Management when the device is connected to the computer (Start->Right-click 'My Computer'->Manage)?  Was this device previously formatted in any other file system (i.e. was it FAT32 or NTFS)?  Please post back :)

dj_fpb

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:56:38 AM »

Hey Dustrega. Thanks for the reply. I've just gone through and checked Disk Management, both with the faulty drive and with other USB mass storage devices I have and the faulty drive does not list. Other devices do show up however, so I do not believe it is a USB detection issue with my OS (Vista - 32 bit, forgot to mention that in my previous post). I've tried plugging the faulty drive into another PC as well and it is not being recognized either. You get the USB detection notification sound, but no device.

As for being previously formatted, I have not run any formatting on the drive at all (stuck with the pre-formatted version) which I BELIEVE (and don't quote me on this) was a NTFS.

More info: I've taken a listen to the drive and it sounds like it's thinking, but there is also a faint click sound every 3 seconds. Don't know how useful this additional information is.

Cheers.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
The device has a faulty HDD then. You will need to either exchange it with the retailer (regional rules differ for retailer warranties) or contact your regional Buffalo tech support to setup an RMA.  My apologies.

dj_fpb

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 03:50:34 AM »

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the input, though. Greatly appreciate it. :)

dj_fpb

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »
   Update: After leaving the HDD off any power source for about a week and a bit, and feeling utterly dejected that I was about to lose my data, I decided, on a lark, to try powering it back up and sure as anything, it worked fine with no loss or corruption of data. Out of curiousity, is there an internal battery that may have kept a state of sleep going for a long period of time? Lets say, 2 or 3 days? That's the only explanation I can think of for the device not being recognized by any PC in the time it was malfunctioning.

Long story short, it works now and I've now installed the new firmware. Cheers!

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:52:46 PM »
   Hi, so far as I know there is no such thing like a battery. The only reason I can think of is that a part (capacitor or such) on the board had an unwanted electric potential. Glad it works!