Author Topic: LS-XHL Powers Down But Will Not Wake  (Read 4661 times)

schneb

• Calf
LS-XHL Powers Down But Will Not Wake
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:49:09 AM »

I have the LinkStation Pro LS-XHL. It is connected to a Verizon FiOS router and I use Macs on Leopard to access them. One of the reasons why I bought this unit was that it powers down when not in use. Well, it powers down fine, but will not start when I need it.

I have a Verizon FiOS router, and temporarily set the Firewall to low security. Still nothing, so its back on medium security.

Is there anything else I can do rather than have it running all the time? The hard drive is spinning constantly, so I imagine 24/7 of that is going to cause problems. This unit is not a very good solution for me if there is nothing I can do to fix this. So any help would be appreciated.

Message Edited by schneb on 04-03-2009 11:11 AM

jeffla

• Tatanka
Re: LS-XHL Powers Down But Will Not Wake
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

Did you install the Buffalo NasNavigator software which controls the on/off funtion of the nas?  From what I read, if you put the on/off/auto switch to Auto, the nas will power down after 5 minutes with no activitiy.  But if you didn't install the NasNavigator software (which tells the nas to wake up), it won't wake up.

Of course I could be completely wrong.

Also in the webaccess page, you can set it to turn off during set times.  I just leave mine on 24/7 as most wear to a hard drive is done during the on/off cycle.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:24:38 PM »

There is a spindown option in the Web User interface:

1. Open your web browser and type in the IP address of the NAS in the address bar

2. Login with admin/password (or whichever password is specified for admin)

3. Go to System->Power Management->HDD Spindown

4. Click on "Modify Settings"

5. Choose "Enable"

6. Click on "Save"

This will spindown the HDDs after a set period of time (thus saving power) without fully disabling the NAS' power.

schneb

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »
   Yes, I do have the software installed, but it would not power it up. But I think between the two of you, my answer is there. Keep it on 24/7, but enable the spin-down, which is just what I want it to do. Thanks to the both of you!

XHLNASUSER

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »
   Why my XHL NAS does not wake up with the timer. I goes to sleep at the specified time in the timer but it does not waik up with the wake up timer. the switch is always in on.

XHLNASUSER

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »

How do I know the disk really spins down?

I can hear the fan of the unit running.