Author Topic: Setting up SMTP for LinkStation ProDuo  (Read 18332 times)

jfkelley

• Calf
Crosslink to another thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »

BTW: This thread is similar to another thread:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=9640

This one was marked "solved" for some reason I cannot fathom.  The other has not been marked that way.   This problem has a simple solution, but has been unaddressed for years.  I don't know why.

jwinograd

• Calf
Re: Crosslink to another thread.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »
   Yes, I saw that similar thread and posted there, too. This one here was marked solved because jtb discovered that SMTP authentication is not required for Comcast. However, there are two problems with that: (1) not all ISPs do this (actually, not any that I'm aware of) and (2) now even Comcast doesn't do it! He posted that on 10-3-2008 and it was true back then, but sometime around 4-1-2009, Comcast switched to requiring SMTP authentication (I'm guessing jtb won't consider it solved anymore). I haven't received a notification from my TeraStation since then and I really miss it. Buffalo has simply got to fix this. As many members have pointed out, it should be a trivial effort. But, of course, zero revenue for Buffalo. The only result would be happier customers. But wait, that could mean more revenue! :)  Cheers, Joe

jtb

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »

jwinograd is correct, I marked my issue as SOLVED because I was able to use my ISP as an unauthenticated STMP server. BTW as of now my ISP (Comcast in Northern California) I am still able to do this.  But very much agree BT needs to address this.

jwinograd

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 12:48:33 PM »
   Very interesting that Comcast in NoCal still allows it. I'm guessing that will change soon. From my own experience, I can say that Comcast in the Chicago, IL and Fort Myers, FL areas now requires authentication. Regards, Joe