Author Topic: My Vista 64 Computer cannot find my 1TB HD-CELU2 network attached Hard Drive  (Read 7360 times)

woolf

• Calf
   Help!  My Vista 64 Computer cannot find my 1TB HD-CELU2 network attached Hard Drive.  When I use the install disk I continue to get the message, "The unit can not be found.  Please confirm LAN cable connection and Power LD then try again."  I have set up everything correctly according to instructions.  I can access the HD-CELU2 via my XP laptop.

I have  run the Buffalo_NAS_Vista_Support file that patches the registry so that it "lowers the NTLM authentication level to be compatible with some of Buffalo's NAS products."  After rebooting I tried running the CD software again but it still does not see the HD-CELU2.

After waiting an hour on hold I finally was able to speak to a tech support person at Buffalo and he said as long as I know the IP address I can just map the network drive.  I did this but when I reboot it won't map it again.  Also, if I try to run the Windows Vista backup program it does not seem to work as it wants to know the user name and password for that computer....which of course, there isn't any.

Another problem is that the supplied Memeo software does not work with Vista 64 (or at least I have not been able to get it to work).  I found a Vista 64 installation from the Memeo site but it won't run. I tried the 64-bit trial version of Memeo (that they want me to pay for to use) and it will install but when I try to run the software I get a "side-by-side registration" error....whatever that means.

Am I just screwed?  Will this ever work with a Vista 64 machine? Or should I return it while I have the chance and get something else?  I don't know what will work as this product says it is Vista compatible but it seems it is not.   (I wish manufacturers would be more specific about being Vista 32 or Vista 64 compatible).

Since the poswer consuption software does not work in Vista 64 or XP, I am assuming it is meant ot run when connected to the USB only and not the network cable (if so, some documentation on the box and in the manual would be nice).

BTW, I am hating myself for getting a new computer with Vista 64.  I should have waited like my wife told me....which, of course, makes my decision even worse.   :smileysurprised:

dreese54

• Calf
   I have the same issue on a 500 GB.  it tells me it can't map the drive so I get an install error while installing to Vista 64.

tanjl

• El Toro
   I think you can use the same Memeo key that you have got it on your Buffalo product on the 64bit version.

woolf

• Calf

Because I was having so many problems with my Vista 64 computer (less than a month old) I decided to start over and restore the computer back to the factory settings.  After doing this I was able to use the regualr instalation to get the computer to recognize the network attached HD-CELU2 1TB drive.  Then I installed the 64-bit version of Memeo and used the suplied number to register it.  So I guess I am good to go.  Although it was a drastic solution, in my opinion.

Now, if I could only figure out why I keep keep getting the dreaded blue-screen-of-death 1 to 3 times a day I will be happy with this new computer.  My wife suggested we just install the Windows 7 beta now instead of waiting for the final version to come out.  I want to get rid of Vista 64 ASAP!  Maybe a duel boot will do. 

Message Edited by woolf on 05-02-2009 05:38 PM