Author Topic: can't update the firmware  (Read 6241 times)

jhu

• Calf
can't update the firmware
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:09:30 PM »

Hi, I'm a new comer here. Hope somebody could give me a hint to solve the problem. 

I have a HS-DH500GL NAS Linkstation which worked fine before until a power outage recently. Afterwards, the Nas storage can't be accessed at all. When I do a scan using the Buffalo NAS Clinet Utlity, I can still see it is there from the following info:

Host Name: HS-DHGL-EMF3C

Workgroup: UNKNOWN

IP Address: 192.168.11.150

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

MAC address: 00:16:01....

Firmware:  ----- 

In order to bring it back, I've downloaded the HS-DHGL_211_101 and tried to do a update on the firmware (Before this incident, I updated the firmware once and it worked). The LSUpdater can find the NAS linkstation but when doing the update, it display a message like: "Couldn't confirm a response from HS-DHGL-EMF3C, please check a network address of both PC and HS-DHGL-EMF3C. Please disable the Firewall function if it is working on PC. Updating is aborted". 

I have no idear what that really means. My PC is a Vista Ultimate machine which connects to the NAS storage through a linksys wireless router (Model #: WRT4G2). I even tried connecting the PC to the NAS storage directly (not through the router) but ended up with the same error message. BTW, I did setup the windows firewall off (including the Norton anti-virus firewall) during the above operation. 

I also tried to re-map the network drive for the NAS storage (drive L in my case) by doing things like "\\(IP address)\share" but no luck. I also notice I can't access to the storage's configuration page to do any change.

Obviously, there is a communication problem between the PC and the NAS storage, which prevents update of the firmware. Without re-activation of the firmware, I can't access the NAS storage at all. 

Any help and suggestion would be very much appricated.

Jian 

tanjl

• El Toro
Re: can't update the firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:40 PM »

Hi Jian,

1. Have you disabled Windows Defender on your Vista PC?

2. Connect the Linkstation directly to your PC. Set IP address on your PC as 192.168.11.123. Make sure when you run the LSUpdater, it can still detect the unit. If yes then proceed to update the Linkstation.

jhu

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »

Hi, Tanjl,

Following your suggestion, I just tried the update again. The Linkstation works perfectly now! Thanks a lot.

Just out of curiousness: It looks for me here the key to the successful update seems due to a change of the Vista PC's IP address - but why I could do the update before without need of doing this ? 

Jian

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:51:44 AM »

Hi Jian,

You could still click on the LSupdate software but it will not continue and pop-up with an error.

In order to do a successful update is to connect directly to the Linkstation without any interference, eg, thru a router or wireless.

That is why I advised you to connect by ethernet to the Linkstation and change your computer's IP to match the Linkstation's IP.

This way, the firmware-updater can scan and then proceed to update your Linkstation.

JKnobby

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:01 PM »

I'm trying to hook my LinkStation up again and its saying ----- for my firmware and I can't do anything.

When I try to run the updater, I get an error right away that says the updater has stopped working. I'm running 32-bit Vista and tech supports advice was try another computer for the firmware. I tried 2 others on Vista because it's all I have available and I get the same error on all of them. Any advice or ideas?