Author Topic: HD CEL-U2 Networking Issue  (Read 4487 times)

KenStupka

• Calf
HD CEL-U2 Networking Issue
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

Networking just drives me NUTS. 

I just installed a DriveStation FlexNet 640GB drive on my home network  (VISTA Home Premium).  When I access the Network Folder, the drive does not show up.  The only way that I could access the drive via my LAN was to run the install program on each computer then map the Share folder from the Browse Icon that was created during installation.  The drive is totally functional for my purposes but it just bugs me that I can't see it in the Network folder as a drive.  Any ideas?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: HD CEL-U2 Networking Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »

Access the drive via shortcut on the desktop and a window should open up with your folders:

1. Right-click on the folder that you want to map

2. Choose "Map network drive..."

3. A wizard will open up allowing you to select a drive letter for that folder on that computer

4. Repeat the process on the other computers.

KenStupka

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 06:11:07 PM »

That is what I did.  I have the drive mapped but it bugs me that the drive doesn't show up as a device in the Network folder.  Any device or computer that I have installed on my network shows up in the Network folder but this drive doesn't. 

Linksys Advisor acknowledge the drive on the network.  I wonder if this is a VISTA issue or if I am missing a step.

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »
   Haha, not everybody can read.... I'm just wondering if you open the Network and sharing center, did you turn on the network discovery?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »

disputator said:

Haha, not everybody can read.... I'm just wondering if you open theNetwork and sharing center, did you turn on the network discovery?

Some end users refer to different things and when he mentioned mapping...well you get the idea. By the way I can read just fine.

Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-24-2009 04:10 PM

KenStupka

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:01:33 PM »

Yes,

I have Network discovery selected as well.  Another interesting point is that I can address the drive by its actual name through the backup program that I use.  Interesting to me is that the backup software it insists that I don't use the mapped drive name.

Message Edited by KenStupka on 04-24-2009 05:05 PM

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
Unfortunately, I find that the network discovery of the NAS (i.e. automatically showing up in the Network folder) is a limitation of all except Mac. Generally, I think this is why the NAS Navi program is utilized to compensate for such a short coming (apparently this happens with Linux too). What type of backup software are you using?
Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-24-2009 06:14 PM

KenStupka

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
   I use SyncBackSE. 

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »

Hmmm, using the name in the network requires resolving the names, usually done by DNS. In a home network it is handled by the Master Browser what is usually the first one what boots up. If you boot up a Vista PC after XP the Vista takes over. It takes a while until it is sorted.Switch on all devices in your network you usually use and wait 2 hours. There is is a good chance it works.Additionally: you installed it using the CD and the link created on the desktop works. I'm quite sure the link has the name in the properties. (probably the one you used in SyncBack?)

But still- I found it is not always reliable. I prefere to do everything with static IP. It is faster anyway because you skip the resolving names.

The backup software is a different problem. And same: I usually type in the path using  the IP.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Dustrega: no offense meant.