Author Topic: Help with the iTunes Feature of my LinkStation Live  (Read 3686 times)

Bennu36

• Calf
Help with the iTunes Feature of my LinkStation Live
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »

Let me start by saying I guess I don't know enough about iTunes.  I have had iTunes and an iPod for about a year, and have all my music some I have purchased from iTunes and some I have taking form CDs on an external usb drive. I bought the LinkStation as it was advertised to have iTunes support. After reading the user manual I saw that I could connect an external usb drive and "share" it just like the internal one. Well this came as good news because I thought now I wont have to copy my music to the new drive.

Well I installed the new drive plugged the old on into it and bingo I was able to map a drive to the USB drive and there is my music in my itunes as always. There is also a under the "SHARED" heading something called LinkStation, but on my instance of itunes or the one on my wife's computer (it also shows up there ) there is nothing in it .  

I am sure this is a simple thing for some one who knows but I can find nothing in the LinkStation manual about how to use this feature can nay body help me ? 

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Help with the iTunes Feature of my LinkStation Live
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
Haven't heard of that happening before. What format is the usbdisk in? Also, I have heard of folders such as usbdisk1 and usbdisk2 appearing in the NAS folder structure no matter where you go. This is normal if there is external storage connected to the NAS. Referring back to the format of the USB disk, if the drive hasn't been formatted to XFS you're probably going to get some strange results. Post the format of your USB disk, model of your NAS and firmware version. I might have more answers for you.

Bennu36

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
   I believe I figured out my issues with the USB drive, and your first question is at the heart of the issue. The embedded OS that runs the LinkStation I believe is some form of Linux. The USB drive is formatted NTFS, I have been using Open Suse 11 for so long now I ha forgotten the many, if not most, earlier version of the Linux kernel will mount a NTFS volume just fine however mount it read only. So I will, and at this writing have, copied my music to the internal drive, and will not go about formatting the USB to XFS or ext3 or a more acceptable format.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
Excellent. Glad I could help :)