Author Topic: Problem connecting to Linkstation mini  (Read 6029 times)

squeekykilt

• Calf
Problem connecting to Linkstation mini
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »

Hi,

I've recently got a Linkstation mini 1TB LS-WS1.0TGL/R1 and am trying to get it working. It is connected via my home router, which can see the linkstation as being connected. The web configuration interface is accessable however trying to connect to the drive from my computer (Windows XP professional SP3) to save any files is impossible.

When I first installed the linkstation I rebuilt the RAID array to RAID1 and this seemed fine, the disk check reports no problems with the array. However the drive is now seemingly innaccessible

The drive is seen by NASNavigator but clicking on browse or right click and "Browse shares" results in nothing happening (i had previously been getting an error message "default share cannot be found" but this is now no longer seen) I note that following the rebuild of the array and re-format the "Share" share originally on the drive is no longer there, however the "info" share is still present. Recreating "share"has no effect on accessing the drive.

Trying to connect directly by typing the IP into a windows run box gives an error of "the network location cannot be reached"

Im wondering could this be either a firewall problem - I have checked the logs of both my software firewall (AVG) and the firewall on the router but can see no instances of traffic to the linkstation's IP being blocked. Or perhaps a windows services problem - does anyone know which services need to be enabled to allow access to a NAS device - I currently have numerous services disabled for security reasons.

Many thanks in advance - hope that all made sense to someone!

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Problem connecting to Linkstation mini
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »

What firmware version is on the unit?

Does the Nas Navigator give you a Firmware version?

The best way to check if a software firewall is causing an issue is to turn it COMPLETELY off (not just disable for an certian period of time or even to turn back on when the comp reboots, if they options are even present), remember you can manually turn it back on afterwards. Then see if you can access it, if not then boot into safe mode with networking and make sure firewalls are still off and try again.

Also make sure Windows firewall is turned off, as sometimes it will turn itself back on!

squeekykilt

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »

Hi Kevin, thanks for the reply.

NASnavigator shows firmware to be 1.05. Nasnavigator version is 2.15.

Still unable to access it either with the firewalls off and in normal mode or in safe mode. Just get an error saying netword location cannot be reached. Im puzzled and frustrated.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »

Squeeky,

try booting your PC into safe mode with networking.

squeekykilt

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
   I tried booting into safe mode with networking but still cold not access the LS. Same error messages and lack of any response when trying to browse shares.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:18:44 PM »

Try force updating the Firmware with Rebuilding the Partition Table.

squeekykilt

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »

Hi,

Have downloaded the frimware updater and forced update of firmware and also set to rebuild partition table. The default shares now appear in webadmin but I am still unable to access the drive from windows.

I also noticed that when I try to run the set up program on the installation CD I get an error and it complains that it was unable to map the shares to a drive letter. Its starting to sound like a windows file sharing problem I think.

Any ideas anyone?

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:01:14 AM »

Hi,

Are you able to ping the LS Mini and get a reply?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »

If he's getting a response from the webadmin then he should be able to ping the device. Is your file/printer sharing enabled?

squeekykilt

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 03:01:53 PM »
   Hi,

Yes I can ping the LS and get full packet response in less than a millisecond. I had considered if it was a file/printer sharing problem. It was definitely turned off at one time but I thought I'd re-enabled it. Will check it out and see if its turned on or not then report back.

Thanks.

squeekykilt

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

Hi,

Just to update on my problem.

I have managed to get the LS and the computer talking to each other.

The main problem was that as part of my earlier attempts to secure my system I had closed port 445 which it turns out I need open if I want file sharing to work. I have now re-opened the port and all is well. I also had to set the firewall to allow connections on this port.

Thanks for the help and pleased to report Im a happy LS user once at last.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:04 PM »
Good to hear! Was starting to get worried about ya :D