Author Topic: Can't Connect to Linkstation LS-250GL - HELP, I've Tried Everything!!! **UPDATED**  (Read 6917 times)

ashburnham

• Calf

When I turn my LinkStation LS-250GL on, there is the initial "Power On" beep followed a few seconds later by continuous beeping and the red error light.  The error light is flashing on a 4 flash sequence and I have been told by the Helpdesk that I need to flash with the latest firmware to cure this.  Problem is I cannot connect to the LinkStation in any fashion at all.

I am connecting it directly to my Dell Laptop (running XP) via the Ethernet cable but NASNavigator doesn't find it, nor does the LS-GL Updater.  I know the IP was set to the default 192.168.10.150 before the problem but I am getting a timeout error when I ping or try to connect with the browser.

I have Windows Firewall and McAfee Firewall switched off while trying this and am setting my Laptop to an IP of 192.168.10.149 in the Local Area Connection properties.  When I turn on, as soon as the continous beeping starts, the power light is continously lit and the link/act light is on and flickers from time to time and as I said earlier the error light flashes on a 4 flash sequence.  I have rebooted over 15 times as suggested by the Helpdesk in an attempt to get it into an EM boot.  As I can't connect I don't know if I am in EM or not but Power Light always continuous for 50 secs after initial beep which I believe indicates it is.

I'm not bothered about any info on the drive, to be honest I probably want to clear it all and start afresh anyway so any hard reset or format option is an acceptable solution but anything to get me connected would be appreciated.

Thanks

**UPDATE**

I've just noticed that the fan visable through the back isn't spinning when I turn on the system.  It doesn't seem to be affecting the system from powering up and beeping/flashing (i.e. it isn't automatically shutting off).  Is this possibly the problem instead of the firmware issue?  The fan may run on a thermostat meaning it is nothing to do with this problem but thought I would put this on here in case it was relevant.

Message Edited by ashburnham on 04-08-2009 02:42 PM

Dustrega

• Big Bull

I would recommend holding down the reset button on the back of the NAS and then performing a force firmware update once the device shows up in the NAS Navigator. Let us know how it works out.

ashburnham

• Calf
   Reset button does not appear to be doing anything and still cannot get the device to show up on NAS Navigator???

Colin137

• Big Bull

Consult your local support office before doing this, since I'm not sure if they will approve of this method.

Try the TFTP boot recovery:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=330&query.id=74789#M330

ashburnham

• Calf

Many thanks Colin.  Solved the problem!!!

Buffalo had already initiated an RMA for me but this solution has saved me posting it to them in Netherlands and having to wait for a reply.

Thanks again