Author Topic: Web Admin doesn't appear to log in  (Read 6019 times)

dmi11er

• Calf
Web Admin doesn't appear to log in
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »

I have a LS-320GL Linkstation Pro that I have been using for quite a while.  However, I can no longer access the Web Administration pages.  I get to the login page normally, but after entering the user and password, the browser spins on trying to get to .../cgi-bin/top.cgo for many minutes.  After several minuetes it will fail with Error on Page and all I see are the top logos and the rest of the page is blank.  I have tried with IE6, IE7 and Firefox.  Tried from XP and Server 2000 machines. The NAS Navigator sees the device fine.

I tried using the reset button but all I succeeding in was no longer being able to access the file shares I had set up.  So now I have lost ground and access to all files on the device.   From NAS Navigator I cannot see the shares and the only thing I can do is change the IP address, but that seems to work fine, so it is authentication with the 'admin' account.

How do I get the web interface working again so that I can correct the configuration to access the private shares I had set up on the device?

--David

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Web Admin doesn't appear to log in
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
Does your NAS Navigator show a firmware version?

dmi11er

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
   The firmware was 1.01 and I tried upgrading to now being 1.15.  Same behavior with both versions of Firmware.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:01:19 PM »
I have seen issues where Norton or other script blocking services can prevent access to the Web Admin. Are you running this from a PC or a server?

dmi11er

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 03:05:51 PM »

Well I have tried disabling Antivirus, turning off any personal firewall, setting the browser to "Low Security" and stopping any sort of service that impacted network activities.

I have tried from a Server 2000 with IE6, and Windows XP with IE7.  Have tried Firefox 2 and 3.

I have reset the device several times.  I am at a loss here.  Interesting that under IE6, I get very brief "flashes" of the buttons that should be on the left of the web interface when I move the browser window arond to cause a redraw of the screen.

At this point I just need to get to my files when I lost access to after resetting the device as the shares don't seem to authenticate anymore.  Is there a way to remove the drive and mount it to retrive the files?

Frustrating.  The device is obviously working as the NasNavigator sees it fine and can reset the IP if desired.  The Navigator cannot see the shares, but that never seemed to work.  I get to the login screen fine and it acts as if the authentication works especially with the brief flashes.

I can set up a special LAN if something is most likely to be successful.  A workgroup environment instead of a Domain?  Would windows 98 be better as no restrictions?  Would a Linux box be more likely to access it?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 04:42:37 PM »
As far as access to the GUI goes I'm at a loss. Since the firmware is good and the the NAS Navi is showing a valid IP address then you should be able to access it.  As far as file recovery goes you could try going to Start->Run and type in \\[IP_address_of_NAS] (found in the NAS navigator) and click OK. If you can access the files that way you can most likely recover them. I don't think this is a NAS issue though as this problem is occurring on multiple browsers which shouldn't matter because our NAS devices work just fine with multiple browsers. Did you try accessing it from another workstation?

dmi11er

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06:48 PM »

How can I mount the drive from the device tro recover my files.  There must be something wrong woth the web server in the device.  Is there some way to get the old firmware to try that again?

I have tried from three different types of computers (actually 6 different systems)

Windows 2000 Server

Windows XP Pro

Apple Mac

On all three machines, I can see the device from the NasNavigator

I can change the IP from the Navigator

I can ping the device

I can bring up the web login page

If I use the wrong password the login page says so

Other than that no other access

If enter user and password on login page, it never gets to the next web page

If I try to view shares from the navigator, it fails.  Have tried with a switch between computer and device as well as a crossover cable.

Someone please help me recover my data. I can trash the device afterwards if it can'tg be made to work.

--David

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
I am trying to help you but all you're doing is restating the same question over and over again. We do not assist with data recovery in this forum. I would recommend you seek the assistance from a 3rd party data recovery center.
Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-10-2009 05:42 PM

dmi11er

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »

I am not trying to be difficult.  You asked if I tried to access on another computer so I was just laying out all the combinations of computers and networks I have tried with thesame lack of response.

As for the data recovery, I was just looking as to whether it was a proprietary storage structure.  I assumed it was Linux and mounted the drive on a linux box and got my data, but would still like to be able to use the box.

I assume the web interface is the Firmware though.  I just cannot make it accessible by anything.  Is there a way to get an older version of firmware to try?  Reminder it is an LS-320GL Linkstation Pro.   Without the firmware, I can't even reformat the drive.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »

You're correct in your assumption about the file structure being in XFS. So, hooking it up to a Linux box would most likely work as long as the drive integrity is intact. As for the older version of the firmware you can try here (pretty much all the firmware for the LS from what I see) and utilize the force firmware procedure to attempt a re-flash. My apologies for any miscommunication it just seemed like the same question over and over. Guess it was the way I read it. I hope you're able to recover your data successfully with the resources provided here :)