Author Topic: linkstation pro duo won't intall--can't find device on network  (Read 6471 times)

wsconner

• Calf
linkstation pro duo won't intall--can't find device on network
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:43:41 PM »

Hello - I've read thru a bunch of help here and can't find anything specific.  I bought previously used Pro Duo and attempted to install on my home XP network.  I downloaded the setup software from buffalotech and the easy set up said it could not find the device.  I even tried connecting the drive directly to the laptop (after connecting to my linksys hub did not work).   I found the NASNAVI tool and tried that as well, and it appears to let me see the drive (I see a Japense folder, manual, etc;) but I cannot map it and it seems like I don't have permissions to create folders etc; 

Any more info or help to get me going in the right direction is greatly appreciated. 
Thanks

sethz

• El Toro
Re: linkstation pro duo won't intall--can't find device on network
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »

First thing, use the reset/Init button on the back. That should set the unit back to defaults and remove any access restrictions.

If I understand correctly, when connected to your router, NASNAVI doesn't see it at all, yet sees it when plugged directly in? That usually indicates a possible network firewall issue.

If you're connected directly to the unit, you will need to set your PC to a static IP. The default IP of the Buffalo would be 192.168.11.150. This is fine for configuring, but not recommended for regular use.

wsconner

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

Many thanks for the quick reply.  The EASYSET Up function does not "see" the device when attached to either the router or the laptop directly.  the Nasnavi tool lets me see the drive.  When I type in the IP adderss in a browser, I actually get the linkstation web page with all the options, so I am definately having connectivity to the device.

I guess at this point I just need to know how to map the drive to my home network and compete installing the Linkstation software, shortcuts, etc;  

Thanks!

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »

wsconner,

If you have the NAS Navi tool and a valid IP address and firmware showing (a version number instead of "---" ) then I would suggest following these steps:

1. Click on Start>Run (Vista users can click on Start and enter the next instructions in the search bar above the Start button that appears)

2. Clear out any commands in the run line and type in "\\[IP address found in NAS Navi]" (minus quotes)

3. A window should pop up.  In the event it does not I would suggest disabling any firewalls/anti-virus software and try Steps 1-3 again.

4. Right click on the 'share' (or whichever folder you created in the LinkStations Web Interface) folder and choose "Map Network Drive..."

5. When the wizard pops up choose your desired drive letter to map to and make sure the box next to "Reconnect at logon" is checked

6. Click finish and a window should open which displays the contents of your mapped network drive

7. Close the window and go to My Computer (or Computer in Vista) and verify the drive was mapped to the letter you chose

8. You're done!

I hope you find this information helpful.

Message Edited by Dustrega on 01-26-2009 05:26 PM

wsconner

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »
   Worked like a charm.  I assume I don't need to worry about installing any of the client based software what would have been installed from the setup disk/cd?   Looks like I can do everything from the browser based manager...  Thanks again for all the help!

Peterw77

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 02:44:06 PM »

What happened to my posts? I posted twice to this and now I can't see any of them??

Peterw

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
My apologies Peter I had a system outage in the middle of moving your posts and I lost them. Could you repost your model, firmware and current problem in a new thread please?